• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newer more "hazardous" experiment. MICROWAVES!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halogrunt1234

New Member
ok, failing at getting any good results from my previous high voltage experiments (and getting shcoked a couple of times with over 200V), I am moving to microwaves. I have in my possesion a magnetron from a fairly new microwave and I want to know how to make the thing work. I will construct the casing for a "microwave gun" so that instead of cooking something inside of an enclosed space, I have the ability to cook bigger things. like grape plants. make them go boom. cause i like boom. boom is good.BOOM!!
 

Optikon

New Member
Halogrunt1234 said:
ok, failing at getting any good results from my previous high voltage experiments (and getting shcoked a couple of times with over 200V), I am moving to microwaves. I have in my possesion a magnetron from a fairly new microwave and I want to know how to make the thing work. I will construct the casing for a "microwave gun" so that instead of cooking something inside of an enclosed space, I have the ability to cook bigger things. like grape plants. make them go boom. cause i like boom. boom is good.BOOM!!
You can't be serious. If you are, I strongly advise you to forget about playing around with the magnetron.
 

JimB

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
This is a very bad idea for several reasons.

To get the magnetron to produce usefull power you will need several kV at 1 or 2 amps, you will not be so glib when you get a shcok (sic) off that!

The microwave radiation will travel for considerable distances, cooking whatever is in its path.

The FCC will not be too amused if they find out, for two reasons:
You will be using an unlicenced radio transmitter,
The Field strength will exceed the legal limits for an unrestricted area.

Bad idea.

JimB
 

Someone Electro

New Member
Yes not a good idea to play around whith it.Whats dengerus is that it will cock your ogans and you wont even feal it becsue there are no sesors there.

Also a MOT (MIcrowave oven transformer) is dengerus it outputs 2kV at kilowats so a bad move can mean a instant death.

If you like high voltage use TV flybacks they cant produce deadly curents but the arcs are quite painful becuse they burn you whith there imense heat.
 

Oznog

Active Member
A microwave magnetron fails to resonate effectively when removed from its oven cavity, I hear. Mythbusters tried something like this and the magnetrons basically didn't work.

A proper directional antenna to achieve a coherent "beam" is not an amateur project. Not complete rocket science but you need to understand waveguides and such.

This is a fundamentally dangerous project for which you do not have the skill or proper degree of carefulness and caution. Microwave radiation is harmful in such intense quantities and protecting yourself, others, and property from exposure is a big concern. Microwaves reflect off metal surfaces and side leakage from a crude emitter would go everywhere.

Plus, of course you have a strong risk of electrocuting yourself.
 

Papabravo

Well-Known Member
Do you really think rational argument will disuade him from this perilous quest?
 

Roff

Well-Known Member
This guy is well on his way to being a poster child (posthumously) for the Charles Darwin award.
 

windozeuser

Member
He even said he had no luck in previous HV experiments. Him getting shocked with 200V a couple times innately makes him move to a microwave o.o. I know an EE that was very skilled in HV and safety and he got shocked pretty badly fixing a microwave... Please don't fool around with magnetrons you need high levels of experience such as HV safety and shielding to keep you and others safe. Plus it just isn't worth it. Go build a jacobs ladder or something after reading this a couple times:
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/safety.htm
 
Last edited:

mramos1

Active Member
iso9001 said:
Do it!

And take lots of pictures while your camera and fingers still work,
We will take video if he has a video camera, just start the camera first..

What is the reason for this experiment again??
 

blasto

New Member
Are you having one of those Quake/Halo fantasies? hehehe....

You might be able to do it with a well constructed waveguide and a dish, but you won't be making things go "boom", not even close - without a dish that you wouldn't be able to carry around, less have in your backyard. There was a spiral one that might do the job, at 18dB - but weighs in at about 1000lbs.

You would still tend to cook & shrivel things, rather than blow them up, and you better be sure noone (or their relatives) that can sue you in the path of your invention!!! Maybe a plasma gun is what you're after?

Not such a great idea IMHO.
 

Someone Electro

New Member
If your interested in wepons make a coil gun.Its very easy to make.Hardest part is getting caps.Not to menchon now much safer this is.

I dont recomend railguns they are much harder to get working.
 

ZIGGY_DAN

New Member
to power a magnetron you would need about 2KV at 1 or 2 Amps, the frequency depends upon what material you wish to heat , it si about 2450MHz fro water, thi is the frequency used by microwaves, secondly the electromagnetic interferance would screw everything in front of it(if you could get it to work) everything metal will have a current induced within it and will heat up, if it were to point at you you would boil, since people are suposedly 66% water. my friend has a microwave oven transformer and capacitor to match, he accidenatlly shorted it and his bed caught fire, his circuit breaker blew and we have left it dormant ever since.

(magnetrons have powerful magnets in them though) :)

DONT DO IT
 

JimB

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
ZIGGY_DAN said:
he accidenatlly shorted it and his bed caught fire,
The mental images triggered by this statement are mind boggling!

JimB
 

mstechca

New Member
Halogrunt1234 said:
ok, failing at getting any good results from my previous high voltage experiments
Why are so many amateurs playing with high voltage. Aren't young children taught about the dangers of high voltage?

(and getting shcoked a couple of times with over 200V)
You are lucky you are not dead.

, I am moving to microwaves.
oh my god :O

I have in my possesion a magnetron from a fairly new microwave and I want to know how to make the thing work.
don't worry about it. You were lucky after being shocked a couple of times. Why risk death again?

I will construct the casing for a "microwave gun" so that instead of cooking something inside of an enclosed space, I have the ability to cook bigger things. like grape plants. make them go boom. cause i like boom. boom is good.BOOM!!
You just may be included in these "things", and therefore, you go BOOM!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles

Loading
Top