Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie with a problem . . . need to operate a garage door with a timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fyrelight

Here is my problem. I have a garage door opener operating my chicken coop door. Press the remote in the morning, door goes up, chickens come out. Press at night, door closes. (Otherwise it is out into the rain.) My goal is to operate this door with a timer. I have a separate push button circuit for the door (which works and I also use) . . . the voltage on this circuit is 32vdc (I used a voltmeter across the two terminals). Now unless someone here can guide me to a better (functional, less expensive) solution I am in mind to use a digital timer switch (like to turn on/off a lamp) to operate something (solenoid, relay, ????) that would close the push button circuit. The digital timer min set time is 1 min, but holding down the push button for a minute does not seem to have any negative impacts on the garage door opener (let me know if this assumption is wrong). But what do I use to close the circuit given that the timer switch is going to pass through 110 vAC? One of my thoughts is to use a 12vdc "wallwart" to switch a 12 volt starter solenoid starter relay that would close the circuit on the door switch. So, one backyard mechanic to all you . . . any thoughts? suggestions? And thanks!

Get the timer to operate a 120 V AC relay. The contacts of that are "volt free" which means that the operating voltage of the relay don't get to the contacts.

Some timers that aren't plug-in timers may have volt-fee contacts anyhow.

There could be a problem with synchronisation, as if the doors don't close when expected, they then close at the time that you wanted them to open and vice-versa.

Thanks . . . funny you should mention a 120 vac relay

I did some more nosing around on the web and came to the same conclusion, a 120 vac relay is the way to go . . . but where to find one? (I live in a rural location in Northern California) . . . so sticking with my original plan, I went to the local Kragens looking for a 12vc SPST relay . . . and while there met a guy who jumped in with a "Why don't you try WAPCO on Jacobs? . . . they got all kinds of stuff" (I am very partial to "stuff") . . . took a bit to find it, but what a treat, all kinds of "stuff" . . . and a very nice 120 vac SPST relay with mount for $10 (I think he said rated for 5 amps, more than enough, and voltage independent)

So, now to put it altogether over the weekend and let you all know how it works (or don't).

You realize, of course, that this is one of the "dreams come true" for folks with backyard flocks . . . to be able to have the flock in and out without having to depend on neighbors (who are very happy to handle the feeding and watering for the eggs . . . but 6:30 AM (or earlier) to open the coop . . . and then making sure it is closed . . . well, that is pushing "neighborliness" a bit when you start talking about 10 or 15 days)

. . . . anyway, will get back to you as to how it goes, but it looks good from here.

D

Knowing that chickens aren't the most intelligent creatures around, would a timed door result in an occassional meal of fried chicken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back