Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie wanting help

Status
Not open for further replies.

myquad

Hi

i have joined this foum in the hope that someone in here will be able to help?

i have a 9 year old son who races Motocross and i need to aid him with some training sessions and to do this i need to get a two way radio installed within his helmet.

installing the equipment is not going to be too much of an issue however i can't find any radio equipment which will allow him to press a button on the handlebars to enable him to speak back to me.

CAN YOU HELP?

this is the kit that i will be purchasing for him which he will need to have on is body (unless you know another way?)

**broken link removed**

and i was looking to install this ear peice in his helmet

**broken link removed**

i have had some people say that you could run a gable down his sleeve to the handlebars but this is not practicle for when he falls off.

you help would be very much appreciated.

this is the kit that i will be purchasing for him which he will need to have on is body (unless you know another way?)

**broken link removed**

and i was looking to install this ear peice in his helmet
This radio has 5 levels of VOX (voice operated switch), meaning that the PTT switch may not be needed. If there's too much noise in the helmet for the VOX, using a throat mic may overcome that.

i have had some people say that you could run a gable down his sleeve to the handlebars but this is not practicle for when he falls off.
You could add a quick-release connector inline with the PTT switch, so if he falls off, it automatically detaches instead of snapping the cable.

2-stroke engines will almost make a VOX always on. 4 stroke may have less noise. Perhaps a thumb switch on the clutch lever side might be good. I wonder what the pros use?

The headset w/ throat mic here motorcycle headset, motorcycle headset, motorcycle headsets, motorcycle helmet headset, wireless motorcycle headset, motorcycle communication headset, headphones headset motorcycle, motorcycle radio headset claims to be good for motorcycle use (albeit a little pricey - US$95) and "Under extremely loud conditions such as combat missions" (I'll have to remember this for next time I'm in such a situation). Could try wrapping a scarf over it to cut out some noise if it's still a problem..

Another product: **broken link removed** and Noise Terminator GP motorcycle headset

Last edited:
Thanks for yur help.

i have spoken to someone today who has tried using a VOX and they get too much background noise from the bike so that have had to run a cable down to the handlebars which is quick release for when they fall off but they say it is a real pain!

is there anyway of making this button Wireless?

I'm sure there are some really bright cookies in here so i would very much appreciate you comments?

Many Thanks Again

Last edited:
i m new here

asslmolikum

i m new here in this forum i want to introduce myself. i m student of MIT and DLD is one of subject i ve join this forum for more information and knowledge.

i ve question in my mind this is irratating me very much

what is the basic purpose of DLD?

hope so u people will welcome me and hlep me as well ......... help me plz i want to become toper inshallah

VOX should work fine, you need a close pickup mic that attenuates well (not sure what to recommend) and some way to change the VOX threshold on the radio. Helicopter pilots do the same thing, you can hear them incredibly well considering the amount of noise they're shouting through. A push to talk button would be a big distraction to a racer if you ask me, they're already busy enough trying to drive, adding another button is going to hurt performance. CB radios have a squelch control which does the same thing, when it's turned up high the incoming radio signal has to be very strong in order for the receiver to output audio. You should look for radios that support those features. Do some more search on Google, you should easily be able to find a commercial product that's not too expensive that meets your needs. So the three key features you're looking for are a mic with high attenuation, a control for the VOX threshold, and possibly a squelch control.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back