Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nugget

Hi all, I am looking for some advice on how to bypass or simulate an opto sensor. The opto sensor is part of a electro mechanical device that turns a lobe that in turn generates the on off circuit. The mechanical part is operated by turning a wheel that makes contact with a track, this part is worn and needs replaced. Due to this the lobe fails to operate and the opto sensor shuts the machine down is it possible to bypass the opto sensor and allow the machine to run. Sorry about the lack of knowledge. Thanks in advance Nugget :eek:

Last edited:
Sounds like the optocoupler is part of a safety system. If so, I wouldn't try to bypass it.

Thankyou for the replies, firstly this is part of a safety cicuit but the mechanical part is the main safety component and is working properly. The optocoupler is a secondary safety and is operated when a lobe passes it this is driven by a worn nylon wheel (part on order but might take a while) and electronicly shuts down if no pulse in 10 seconds or so. What if anything can I use as a temp fix. Nugget :confused:

Are you talking about an optocoupler or an opto interrupt, like a IR LED/ transistor that gets the beam cut by the "lobe"?

Yes the lobe passes and the beam passes through, sorry about the description but my knowledge on components is limited. Nugget:eek:

I would check the LED with a digital camera. Look at the LED with the camera to see if it is on. If the LED is not working you may be able to substitute a regular red LED in it's place.

Hi Mike2545, the coponent is working ok but due to the lobe not moving (worn nylon wheel ) to break the beam the machine shuts down as it thinks there is a problem as it has not received a signal after 10 seconds. Nugget :(

I am looking for some advice on how to bypass or simulate an opto coupler.
Any kind of transducer and receiver that operates without light.

Energy transfer could be done with sound, air pressure, radio waves, heat, a viscous coupling, etc. . . . depending on the bandwidth required and the "compliance" of the coupling. Hysteresis may also be a factor.

If the machine is not moving the lobe on the worn wheel (not worm gear)& it is not triggering the IR led/ transistor, then without seeing the schematic, it would be impossible to say what fix could be offered.

If you want to suggest Popsicle sticks, rubber bands and chewing gum be my guest.

Maybe someone could sit and manually trigger the "eye" to keep the machine running. Like I said it's a mechanical problem not an electrical one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back