Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dataflow

I just want to know if it's possible to detect a radio receiver. As example, does the cops can detect that you have a radar detector? I think no, but I want to be sure. Thank you!

dataflow said:
I just want to know if it's possible to detect a radio receiver. As example, does the cops can detect that you have a radar detector? I think no, but I want to be sure. Thank you!

It's possible to detect a superhet receiver, as the local oscillator will radiate somewhat - although careful screening will reduce it drastically. A simple TRF receiver doesn't have a local oscillator so there's nothing to detect.

As for the cops, they are not that clever :lol:

In the UK there are TV detector vans (although most of them are just dummies), the actual working vans can detect the presence of a working TV (by the line output emissions), which channel you are watching (by the local oscillator radiation), and if it's a colout set (by the subcarrier oscillator radiations).

Nigel Goodwin: As for the cops, they are not that clever

I live in Canada and there is many people here saying that the cops can detect a radar detector (it's illegal here). I was wondering if it was possible
to make a simple detector that would not use an oscillator... thanks for the replies![/quote]

dataflow said:
I live in Canada and there is many people here saying that the cops can detect a radar detector (it's illegal here). I was wondering if it was possible

It's illegal here as well (most things are illegal in the UK!), but I seriously suspect it's just a fairy story that the police can detect radar detectors.

But there's an easy way round it, don't break the speed limits! :twisted:

Cops do have radar-detector detection capability, its called VG-2, and its built right into the radar guns.The VG-2 is also detectable, some radar detectors have VG-2 protection(radar-detector detector detector?), they just shut down when VG-2 is detected.

Russlk said:
Nigel, why are there TV detector vans? Do TVs have to be licensed or something?

You are telling me you don't pay any TV licence in the States? In all countries I have been in Europe there is a yearly TV licence to pay to goverment, and from what I know it's in every country in Europe at least.

Russlk said:
Nigel, why are there TV detector vans? Do TVs have to be licensed or something?

Oh yes!. As already mentioned, most countries in Europe have TV licences. In the UK the licence fee funds the BBC, there are no adverts on the BBC, so this is their main source of funds.

In the UK the most common reason for women being in jail is failure to pay the TV licence!.

Here in New Hampshire, the state motto is "Live free or die" , so I don't think we will have any license for TV. We don't even have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle, or seat belt in a car (if of voting age).

Russlk said:
Here in New Hampshire, the state motto is "Live free or die" , so I don't think we will have any license for TV. We don't even have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle, or seat belt in a car (if of voting age).

Well, that can make the dying part easy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back