Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie Project Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxSFHxCxX

I am currently working on a project at home for the wife.

Basically I need to know how to knock down a 120V power source to 1.5V (so I don't fry everything)

I wasn't sure if resistors could get the job done, if a power inverter could be used, or another device exists. Thank you for your help, I'm a little new to the home electronics project thing.

Thank You,
Patrick

If you gave us a little more info about what you are trying to do we can give you better advice. There are a million ways to do what you want; how you do it really depends on the application.

Brent

I assume it is 120 Volt AC, not DC. And the 1.5 Volt is also AC.

If so, then a transformer would be the most energy efficient method. It is also safer than other methods since the transformer will isolate the high voltage.

However, as bmcculla said, tell us what you are trying to do and we will be able to help more.

Len

You can still "fry" stuff and start fires with low voltages so make certain that you use wiring that has the proper capacity and that you make use of fuses or circuit breakers, just in case.

The little wall warts that you can buy at Radio Shack (or you might have laying around) can often be a good way to start if the current demands are low. This reduces or eliminates the task of wiring on the more lethal voltage side.

basically, my wife has a battery operated remote that she wants to be able to plug in... i dont know why, but thats what she wants...

sorry i was so vague in my first post wasnt sure what information you needed...

why run it form the mains? doesnt that take away the 'remote' part of it?

anyway. since itz a remote am assuming ull need 1.5VDC at low power, so u cud use a transformer to lower the voltage and 4 diodes to turn it into DC. if u do it this way remember there will be a voltage drop of 1.1V accross the diode

A couple of alternatives come to mind...
One is the transfomerless power supply,
though I have used them myself I am not a great fan of them.
These circuits are dangerous !!! build with some care!!!

https://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/supply5.htm
**broken link removed**

A better solution might be to use a solar cell to charge a Ni-Cad battery.

andrew2022 said:
why run it form the mains? doesnt that take away the 'remote' part of it?
anyway. since itz a remote am assuming ull need 1.5VDC at low power, so u cud use a transformer to lower the voltage and 4 diodes to turn it into DC. if u do it this way remember there will be a voltage drop of 1.1V accross the diode

For a low power application like this, 4 diodes (full wave rectifier) are not needed, only one (half wave), plus a small filter capacitor.

I would suggest getting a hold of a regular plugpack or mobile phone charger, and adapting that to your requirement. You could use a string of diodes to drop the volts down, if it is a bit high.

The easyest way is to buy those litle power suplys (Phone charger like).The phone chargers may need to be stepd down becose they mostly have 4.5 V out and you need 1,5V (Strange...All of my remotes run on 3V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back