Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie/Novice in need of help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xombie

hey all
i saw this circuit diagram (infra-red emitter/detecter) on another site and was wondering if it actually works i tested it and as far as i know it works but im having trouble hooking up motors. (im making a line following robot). i WAS going to use a PIC but time got the better of me.
i think that i may need a comparator IC LM239n or motor driver of some sort... :? :?
thx in advance. :D :D

**broken link removed**

xombie said:
hey all
i saw this circuit diagram (infra-red emitter/detecter) on another site and was wondering if it actually works i tested it and as far as i know it works but im having trouble hooking up motors. (im making a line following robot). i WAS going to use a PIC but time got the better of me.
i think that i may need a comparator IC LM239n or motor driver of some sort... :? :?
thx in advance. :D :D

**broken link removed**

The circuit looks fine, you can actually buy ready made ones, with both LED and photo-transistor in a single encapsulation - they are commonly used in many VCR's for detecting turntable rotation.

I build this before. It's really not that good of a circuit even though it works. Since it's not modulated it is really useless when theres too much ambient light around. I had to turn off all my lights and my monitor to get it to work reliably. I would suggest you try and modulate it if your going to use it for a line following robot.

You won't be able to drive a motor directaly from the output of that, you'll need to use a transistor or a motor driver for that.

vaineo said:
You won't be able to drive a motor directaly from the output of that, you'll need to use a transistor or a motor driver for that.
beat you to it, i tried a transistor the day i posted the question, and got it working too.

thx for your help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back