Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie needs Inspiration!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moffatt

Im 15 and im doin GCSE Electronics. Im planin for my final project which will be an electronic product to do with either Sercurity or Entertainment. So far i havent come up with anything thats gonna separate me apart from the others and i need some ideas from you guys (the experts).

So far i'v got 2 main ideas which are

1) A stun gun, probably with some kind of sercurity lock on it (allways wanted 1 but dont know if im aloud to build it!).

2)A small RC robot controled by IR. Designed to be used with my watch as well as a remote control. (I have a Casio IR TV Remote watch which can be preset to work with any IR device).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Moffatt said:
Im 15 and im doin GCSE Electronics. Im planin for my final project which will be an electronic product to do with either Sercurity or Entertainment. So far i havent come up with anything thats gonna separate me apart from the others and i need some ideas from you guys (the experts).

So far i'v got 2 main ideas which are

1) A stun gun, probably with some kind of sercurity lock on it (allways wanted 1 but dont know if im aloud to build it!).

These are seriously illegal in the UK, I doubt that it would help your marks to build one :lol:

2)A small RC robot controled by IR. Designed to be used with my watch as well as a remote control. (I have a Casio IR TV Remote watch which can be preset to work with any IR device).

If you check my PIC tutorials at http://www.winpicprog.co.uk I have a tutorial on IR remore control. In particular I give code for using the Sony SIRC's system - which your watch should be able to provide. Another tutorial shows how to use a 16F876 to provide two channel PWM for a small robot - by combining the two you could complete your project (and it gives you enough extra to do to make it your project).

I like your idea of using a Theramin circuit for sercurity. I think i can use it as a sort of proximity sensor but im not sure on the range. Have you got any idea. I think its only a few inches away from the antenna but maybe it could be increased?

I believe a comercial version of this concept uses an insulated wire antenna pair buried just beneath the surface to provide a perimeter alert, sensitivity , well that depends on the circuit , choose one that uses op-amps rather than just a couple of logic gate chips. A more novel approach would be the use of multiple sensors buried like land mines to provide a zone defence , this would give a crude but usefull position tracking of a potential intruder.

I have also thought of a telepresence robot for my final project. That would be pretty good for entertainment. Its either the Theremin style proximity sensory or a telepresence robot. Which do you think would best from an electronic experts point of view?

Ive just finished my GSCE project. Simple is best as it just needs to look good. There are many more marks for looks then if it works. Try a security barrier for a car park or a simple sequence follower game.

I have many design ideas that we were if you want me to email them to you. Also check out the exam board website.

Will

PS. Dont make the mistake of leaving the write up till the end like everyone in my year did.

Hi

PS. Dont make the mistake of leaving the write up till the end like everyone in my year did.

i've just written about 60 pages worth of coursework (due in tomorow) - its really not a good idea to leave it...

As was mentioned, KEEP IT SIMPLE

all you need for GCSE is two proccess blocks - e.g. for a shed alarm: an astable for an buzzer (to make an audible alarm), and a latch for an LED to show if the alarm has been triggered whilst you wern't there.

Another point, any gcse electronics teacher that knows anything about RC or IR is one in a million, and i suggest that you will find the project a lot easier if your teacher can help you with it (even with us lot to help :D )

Tim

Oh my teachers that 1 in a million then!

He recently went on an IR course so he knows his stuff.

i am just thinkin of ideas for my project at the moment i still got ages to go before i start it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back