Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie Needs Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjr1512

Hi,
have started a project where i have to design and make a self leveling platform. i have decided that to make it easier i will keep it a 3 legged job with one fixed leg

the idea is to use a inverted joystick and attatch a weighted pendulum to it, using this i hope to be able to produce a signal that will drive the two motors on the legs.

i aim to level it in one plane and then in the perpendicular

using some sort of logic system to stop it from trying to level in both at the same time.

the help i could use is any thing that could give me ideas, or answers as to how to fill in the gaps of the circuit

or if i am completely barking up the wrong tree can anyone point me the right way

thank you Paul

This doesn't exactley apply to the logic portion of your question but the process would probably be made easier if you had one fixed leg and then two adjustable legs. That may have been your plan already. As for the logic, do you plan to use a microcontroller in this project? I have some ideas if you aren't planning on using one but if I were doing the project I would go with a microcontroller with onboard A/D converters.

Last edited:
not sure on the microcontroller am at the moment trying to get as many ideas as i can so i can explore them,

i have to do a report on a few different options.

i am definitely looking at one static leg and the other two to level, as it will simplify the process and as this is at college level not university, don't want to make it over complicated, but at the same time i picked a challenging one to make it more interesting.

I am interested to hear your ideas if i may

Thank you

Solution would depend on how tilted could the surface be in the first place.

If its not too much tilted i would go for microcontroller and electrolytic tilt sensors. That would also be the cheapest solution.
You could also try with distance measuring from the ground.
If you dont want to use a microcontroller you could go for voltage comparison method with differential amps.
Just make sure to find the appropriate sensor first. Options are many, but pay attention to the prices.

The inverted joystick idea isn't bad at all provided there is no acceleration, meaning the measuring device is static.

Connect a window comparator to each axis and use the center position's voltage of the pots within the joystick to define the reference voltage. Use a heavy weight on the stick to overcome inertia of the pots.

You might use LEDs at the comparator's outputs to indicate the direction to move the base (similar to a command signal, e.g. red means tilt left and green means tilt right.)

To assist proper adjustment I suggest to use a spirit level as well. It shortens time for fine adjustment.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back