Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fogbound

Hi there guys and gals. I am attempting to fix a countdown timer that I recently purchased. It uses 7 segment displays for day, hour, minute, and second. It ws originally used as a countdown timer for the year 2000.

It lights up and counts down, however some of the 7 segment displays seem to have a loose connection or a broken somehow. They work on occasion when pressed or slightly twisted but are not reliable to display correctly. All the soldered connections look good but there is definitely something going on. :confused:

Anyone have any experience with these things?? Thanks and I hope to get a chance to explore more of this great site.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know your experience level so forgive me if what I say is either over your head or stuff you considered long ago. This is just what I'd try.

Bad solders aren't always all that obvious to the naked eye. When I'm checking them I use the best light I can arrange and jeweler's glasses (see my avatar). Resoldering a joint is easy enough that if I even suspect that a joint may need fixing, I resolder it or at least reflow the existing solder.

If the solders really are good and have already been fixed, then I wonder if perhaps the 7-segment components are badly made (or abused) and if the internal connections might be loose. If I felt that was the case, I'd try replacing one of the units with a new one to see if that made any difference.

What size, colour, etc are the 7seg displays? Can you post a picture?

Torben

Hey thanks for the reply. I have some electronics experience (scary I know), and have taken many things apart mostly with good results :eek:.

I may try to re-melt the solder and see if that works. I will also get a pic later when I get home. I can tell you the digits are red and are about 2 inch (will confirm later). Are these display units readily available or are they hard to find??

Hey thanks for the reply. I have some electronics experience (scary I know), and have taken many things apart mostly with good results :eek:.

I may try to re-melt the solder and see if that works. I will also get a pic later when I get home. I can tell you the digits are red and are about 2 inch (will confirm later). Are these display units readily available or are they hard to find??

Hard to say without a picture but red 7-seg displays aren't rare. You may not find the exact same ones but I bet you can find a suitable replacement unless there's something really weird about the ones you have.

Torben

OK I have it up and running. It's wierd I actually put little shims under the displays to keep them away from the circuit board. It works fine now.

Thanks for your input. I am happy to have found this site and appreciate your quick responses Torben.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back