Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie Needs Help Model RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Rhodes

Hey guys! I'm having some trouble with a project that i'm working on. I'm trying to build some sort of flying toy from ground up and right now i'm stuck on the wireless communications portion of it. I found a tranceiver and receiver online that i really like but i'm not quite sure about the frequency range since it operates at 434MHz. Since that's HAM radio frequency is it legal to operate without a license? Do i need to try for a different frequency? Thanks in advance for the help. DR

P.S. Let me know i need to provide links to the tranceiver/receiver

Last edited:
the 433/434 devices are allocated in what is called the ISM band --- Industrial, Scientific, Medical the devices are of low power output generally ~ 10mW maximum and as such dont need a licence.
Under the industrial classification you have a multitude of uses eg. car door, garage door openers, low power short range data link trancseivers.

For remote control of models, as you want to do, there is already a huge range of tranceiver modules available on the 2.4GHz band. They are digital systems and therefore rarely suffer from interference from other transmitters.

Time for you to make a trip to your local model shop and see what is available, there's no point reinventing the wheel.

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Is the any limit on power with the 2.4GHz band that would prevent me from getting some pretty long range communication?

yes there are power limits there as well. It is also an ISM band. its shared with audio video transmitters/receivers, door openers, WiFi, cordless phones and a zillion other devices

what do you call long range ??

Dave

Daniel Rhodes wrote:

I'm trying to build some sort of flying toy from ground up and right now i'm stuck on the wireless communications portion of it. I found a tranceiver and receiver online that i really like but i'm not quite sure about the frequency range since it operates at 434MHz. Since that's HAM radio frequency is it legal to operate without a license? Do i need to try for a different frequency?

You give no indication of where in the world you are, the radio regulations vary from country to country.

In the UK and Europe, 434Mhz is an amateur radio band, however, "Low Power Devices" with an output power less than 10mW are allowed on certain frequencies.
Be aware that the average low power device receiver will be susceptible to interference from higher powered stations on adjacent frequencies.

If you are based in the UK, I suggest that you look here:
http://www.ukrcc.org/

JimB

You also need to be aware that flying models have very specific requirements for radio control systems, you need to check what those are in your specific (unspecified) country.

Hey guys, thanks for the help.
As far as range goes, 200ft would be great. I'm pretty new at all of this so i wasn't sure how this would affect HAM frequencies and how standard devices (wifi, cellphones, ect...) would affect my project. I am based in the US, but i live in somewhat of a rural area if that makes any difference.

As far as range goes, 200ft would be great. I'm pretty new at all of this so i wasn't sure how this would affect HAM frequencies and how standard devices (wifi, cellphones, ect...) would affect my project. I am based in the US, but i live in somewhat of a rural area if that makes any difference.

Presumably the USA have regulations about such things - use the correct radio control system for flying models, these are freely and easily available. Attempting to use anything else is danagerous, and leaves you open to all sorts of nasty legal complications.

In fact so easily available that in the small village I live in I can buy a radio control system, but NOT a loaf of bread or a bottle of milk! :D

As I stated earlier GO to your local model shop, they will have all the modules and info required for you to get up and running
again, digital 2.4GHz is the standard freq for radio control models these days

cheers
Dave

If you are in the USA, 433/434 Mhz is not authorised for low power devices.
However 315Mhz is available.

But, as everybody else says, go to the model shop and see what is available.
Don't re-invent the wheel.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back