Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie: Motion/Light triggered fog machine, light flash and sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentalibi

Hi guys, i'm new to both the forums and electronics.

the only technical knowledge i have is from doing GCSE resistant materials product design, so i kind of know what i'm doing with soldering and a few terms.

i'm at college right now and for an art installation i'm making, i'd like to produce a gadget that is motion triggered.

ok basically it will be a large black box in a dark room, and once a door is opened in the black box i want a loud gunshot sound, a very bright flash (to simulate gunshot flare) and a smoke/fog machine to be activated with a rubber tube going from the smoke output to the barrel of the gun for a few seconds, to simulate the smoke coming from the gun after being fired.

i've had a look at this link here
AUTOMAT3D Blog Archive Motion Sensor Switched Output Hack

and that kind of is what i want, right?

what do you guys suggest i should do, with very easy instructions?

the way i thought of connecting it was that for the sound, connect the motion sensor to the spacebar of a usb keyboard connected to a laptop, that has the sound i want up on quicktime player, so that it plays everytime the spacebar is pressed.

for the fog machine, connect the motion sensor to the button of a fog machine remote control

and for the flash, two options. the first is to have a camera flash gun setup where i want it, connected to a digital camera, connected to a computer so that once a certain key is pressed on the computer a photo is taken, therefore setting off the flash. the take photo key on the computer can again be triggered by connecting the motion sensor to that key on an external usb keyboard, like the sound file idea above.

the second theory for the light is to have the motion sensor trigger a very bright lightbulb for a very short period of time (we're talking fraction of a second here), but how would i set the time to that fraction of a second for this second light option?

does this sound feasible?

assuming my logic is correct for the above theories, i have a few questions.

1. how many motion sensors will i need? will i need one to connect to each of the three functions, or will one motion sensor be able to trigger all three, and if so, how do i make the connection?

2. what electronic components will i need to buy, other than the motion sensors and external keyboards etc. and why?

3. in layman's terms, how do i assemble the bloody thing?:p

thanks so much in advance.

Miguel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back