Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

newbie LED lamp setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbrush

How would i go about doing this....I want to make a lamp consisting of rows of LEDs and use a switch of some kind(like a dimmer switch) to control them. The more you turn the switch, the more rows of LEDs it would light up.
It would be nice too if they would glow and get brighter rather than just turn on at full intensity(ie: row one would be at full intensity, row 2 would be half, row 3 quarter intensity...)
How would I go about doing this??

Ok, PWM stands for pulse width modulation. A 555 is an integrated circuit, which is described as a universal timer. In the application you suggested, you would use it as an oscillator (ie, something that goes between 2 states at a set rate). So, what you would be doing is switching the LEDs on and off very fast. Now, by adjusting the PWM, the LED can be made to appear brighter or dimmer, according to how wide the pulses are. If more of the pulses are mostly high, the LED is on more of the time in relation to off, so it appears bright, and vica versa.

You oughta find something suitable at:

**broken link removed**

Look under "Timers and Drivers" on the
second page.

<als>

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back