Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

(newbie)JDM & Ic prog problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MathGeek

I use

IC prog
JDM (COM port DB9)
Win XP
16F628

Mine just doesn't work. I get error messages like "Verify failed at 0000h" or if I tried to blank check, I get "the device NOT blank at 0000h"

I did some research, and can voltage (MCLR and Vdd) be a problem?

I heard that MCLR should be over 13v, but what about Vdd?

Also, if the voltage is the problem, what should I do? I really don't have the money/time to buy or build another programmer.

Thanks.

PS. If I use Internal Osc., I don't have to have an external crystal, right?

MathGeek said:
PS. If I use Internal Osc., I don't have to have an external crystal, right?
You don't need any oscilator for programing. But for run-time Internal Oscilator is always sufficient.

We need answers for above questions to help you more....

Just a plain desktop (motherboard NF7-S manufactured by Abit)

Just a regular, in-socket programming. No advanced in circuit programming.

The JDM programmer is well known for problems, as it relies on the serial port exceeding the RS232 specification - it's probably the most troublesome PIC programmer there is?.

It's a VERY clever piece of design, and it's quite difficult to understand how it works - but it seems to have been designed JUST to be clever, and not to be practical?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
The JDM programmer is well known for problems, as it relies on the serial port exceeding the RS232 specification - it's probably the most troublesome PIC programmer there is?.
Well, teoreticaly it is troublesome, but it serves well to many people (including me), and some probelms are always expected with such a simple solution (Powered directly from COM port).

Nigel Goodwin said:
It's a VERY clever piece of design, and it's quite difficult to understand how it works - but it seems to have been designed JUST to be clever.
Yep, JDM is very interesting design, it took me a while to understand...

But, it's always better to "play" with Serial port (especially for beginners) then with Paralel port, try to short both and you will understand why.

BTW: My first ever builded programmer was paralel and it never worked :lol:

Ah........

So what should I do besides lamenting the troublesomeness of JDM?

Edit: here is the schematic.

Attachments

• jdmprog_scm.pdf
    16.8 KB · Views: 508
Jay.slovak said:
MathGeek said:
Ah........

So what should I do besides lamenting the troublesomeness of JDM?
Did you instal Ic-progs device driver? You need it if you are running XP.

Yup. I did.

EDIT: Also, I use 6ft cable...does that make difference?

I started with the same problem. In your settings are you using Direct I/O or Windows API? I have found tutorials using the direct I/O but I could only get it working with API.

Also Try different fuse settings. Sometimes when I set certain ones it won’t program at all.

I tried both direct I/O and windows API (what does that stand for anyway?). No avail.

IC-Prog's hardware check thing...I tried to work with it, but since I am new, I really don't know how to utilize it.

I think in hardware check, when I click "Enable MCLR," the voltage of MCLR is supposed to go up (???).

Can someone help me with this?

I seriously think there is something wrong with hardware. But I made sure many times that I built correctly using the schematic.

Please.....I am all frustrated...but still have hope :)

A weird thing happened.

After much thinking, I concluded that there is nothing wrong with the software or hardware itself. It is the communication that is causing the problem.

As I said before, i connected JDM to my COM2, and set IC prog to COM2.

I thought, maybe there is something wrong with my COM2.

So I switched the cable to COM1, BUT I forgot to change the hardware setting accordingly. So, ICprog setting is still COM2.

I tried to program like this, and it said "Device Verified!"

Wow, what just happened?

Glad it works. I had to same problems when I got my JDM programmer. I haven’t tested why it won’t work on com2 but I did that same thing. Even with the settings on com2 it wouldn’t program.

I might be wrong(correct me if I am) but if you enable MCLR doesn’t that allow you to use it as the master clear? It shouldn’t effect the voltage at all.

MathGeek said:
I tried both direct I/O and windows API (what does that stand for anyway?).

Windows application programmer's interface.
Direct IO bit bangs the IO directly, wich only works in win95/98/me...
or with special drivers on other windows'es...
when using the api, the program calls functions and services provided by windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back