Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

(Newbie) Help understanding TI Decade Counter CMOS Chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr909

So, I have this chip, here's the datasheet:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2013/06/cd4017b.pdf

I tried experimenting with it but I can't figure out which pin I'm supposed to be grounding, I thought I hit the right one at first but it didn't work. The PDF explaining this is kinda low-res, at least when I try to look at/print it, and I'm not sure I understand the symbols used as well as I might think I do.

I'm using the CD4017B.

If someone might explain how to use this to light up LEDs in sequence, or just tell me where power goes and where ground goes, I'm pretty confident in my ability to toy around with it but I'm kinda stuck at this point.

hi,

Look at this image for the pin connections.

Pin8 = 0V,,, Pin16= +Vsupply

This datasheet is clearer than your version.

E.

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    29.7 KB · Views: 156
  • hef4017b.pdf
    103.6 KB · Views: 243
I'm pretty confident in my ability to toy around with it
While doing so, be aware that this is a CMOS IC so you need to take anti-static precautions to prevent possible damage to the IC from static electrical discharge.

One basic rule is that all unused inputs on a CMOS circuit must be grounded, otherwise you may experience erratic operation of the circuit.

Thank you guys!
I knew I found a good forum. :)

To crutschow and alec_t: Noted. I'll be a good tinkerer next time and ground my chip correctly. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back