Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie Amperage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armed101

Hi All,
I am doing a project involving a car battery and my device that is hooked up to the battery requires the ranges of 10 to 15 volts and an amperage of 1.9 to 2.2 amps. So do i need to reduce the amperage to something within that range or does the device only use what it needs to operate?

Last edited:
It would help us immensely to know exactly what kind of device you want to connect. Some (like motors) don't require current (what you call "amperage") limiting, while others (like LEDs) do.

A car battery supplies up to 800A to the starter motor in winter.
The clock in a car is connected directly to the battery and it doesn't draw 800A. It draws 0.0001A because that is all it needs.

What do you have that draws more than 2.2A? Will it work properly when you limit its current to 2.2A?

Edit: A single 48" fluorescent tube draws 34W to 40W. The ballast circuit heats with about 5W.
Then if the battery is 15V the current is 45W/15V= 3A. It might draw more current if the circuit is crushed in an accident but then the fuse will blow.

Last edited:
By "DC ballast" I ASS-U-ME you mean an electronic ballast for fluorescent lights, right? You don't need to worry about limiting the current; it'll only use what it needs.

And if it's happy with 10 to 15 volts, all you gotta do is connect the thing up to your car's electrical system and you're done.

Yea the company that sold me the ballast says that i have to stay within that range. Because the ballast will overheat, also they said that it could mess up the flourescent bulb making it not last as long. I hooked up a AC to DC power supply to see if it would work. and it works ok with 12volts 1 amp and i also tried it on a 14 volt 1 amp and the light seemed brighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back