Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

new to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasona@wbeer

trying to make a 555 timer flash a light useing 12v cant seem to make it work :idea: here is what i have a 12v light bulb a 50v .47 uf cap 2, 220 ohm ressistors a 555 timer a 12-14 volt power supply and when i put it all to gether no light

This question not too specific for proper answer, but the 555 cannot drive a light bulb directly. The output max. current is 150mA...

jasona@wbeer said:
trying to make a 555 timer flash a light useing 12v cant seem to make it work :idea: here is what i have a 12v light bulb a 50v .47 uf cap 2, 220 ohm ressistors a 555 timer a 12-14 volt power supply and when i put it all to gether no light

You didn't specify how the components are connected. If you just randomly connected everything together, chances are that either you blown the chip, or you have damaged (or at least significantly weakened) the battery.

LED's work better. They are lights, but they only light when connected a certain way. If you want the brightness of a lightbulb, then you want a high current. Don't go too high or the LED will malfunction. To find the optimal brightness, connect a 1K resistor the LED, and the battery in series (in a loop). If it doesn't work, reverse the battery connections.

Now adjust the 1K resistor. The lower the resistor, the brighter the LED.

Test it...

Attachments

• 555test.gif
    555test.gif
    4 KB · Views: 534
This circuit will blow the LEDs.

I suggest you insert a 1k resistor in series with each LED to limit the current.

Len

jasona@wbeer said:
ok got it to light up but the led dose not flash

Try with bigger resistors. Chances are, you can't see the LED flash because it's going too fast. Go with resistors in the 10k-100k range. And don't forget to put a current limiting resistor to protect your LED like Len suggested.

Attachments

• 555_led_flasher.png
    555_led_flasher.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 483
even with 100k resistors i cant see a flash

also is there any way i can see that it is working on my volt meter its a fluke md 88 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back