Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to site, need AM transmiter help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortCircuitJim

Hi, I'm Jim and live in Colorado.
What brings me to this site is my desire to help out my grandson who has a habit of losing his Estes rockets. I too had a habit of doing that 40 years ago but I was lucky as my father taught electrical engineering at Palm Beach Junior College at the time. Boy I miss him, sure wish I would have paid more attention to what he tried to teach me. But on to my problem.
He built me a very simple and small AM transmiter that would fit into the hollow nosecone and transmitted a tone. Using an AM radio I could hear the tone and the closer I got to my "lost" rocket the stronger the signal would get. Well you get the idea of what I'm trying to do. Maybe FM would be better but I'm really trying to keep this as small as possible and a range of 100 yards would be fine. Also the ant. was a short piece of wire as I recall. A 9 volt battery is a little bulky and heavy so a smaller one would be better.
Can anyone here help me with a design for this?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

This might work for you. You 'd have to replace the microphone input with something that would broadcast your beeping instead of just ambient noise. Maybe a 3 kHz square wave from a 555??? If you used a directional antenna with your reciever, you could get a line on the rocket and start searching.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back