Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

new to robots

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectronikCid122

i really want to get a robot kit but dont know where to start. i have knowledge of all parts that consists of a robot. i can solder. i found a website with a bunch of kits here is the link. **broken link removed**
which robot would be great fun and can get good use out of it?

I like the BOE bot, (but only if you get the gripper for it). it also depends where you want to start- with little toy things like a lot of the cheaper ones on that webpage, BEAM robots, or with microcontroller robots. I practiced my soldering on BEAM robots and then moved on to microcontrollers pretty fast.

If you want, I could sell you an OOPic-R controller and a Bluebot base for the a bit cheaper than the programmable kits on that website. Namely the comparable ones are the, except it would be cheaper in number (and price since I work in Canadian dollars).:

PX27400 - Parallax Sumo-Bot Programmable Robot Kit
PX28832 - Parallax Boe-Bot Programmable Robot Kit

It really depends on how much money you want to spend.

well i have 340 in cahs from aunts and uncles from x mas so id say round 150-175

Well you already said you can solder so I guess it's pretty much do you want to do BEAM robotics or microcontroller robots? (I say microcontrollers, but I am very obviously biased).

look in your local electronics store. if you see something you like, buy it. you actually need just a base plate and 2DC motors attached to it (with gears and wheels). all the electronics is custom for each bot and so are the sensors. just search the google for robot tutorials. i really suggest start with microcontroller based bots. use picaxe (www.picaxe.co.uk) if you are into basic; PIC if you like assembly or AVR if you think C is the way to go.
i suggest picaxe for starting and then move on to AVR's as they have more processing power than PIC's. and are faster too. + C is much easier, powerful and simpler to use.
good luck

I like PICs because they have dsPICs. It's not really fair to compare the dsPICs to the 8-bit AVRs so I won't.

this is the one i want to get but cant find a site with it in stock in the u.s can u plz help me find a link with it in stock. heres the link **broken link removed**

It's hard to tell because the prices are so different, but you never know what the markup might be at the Jameco. It might just be a book, but it doesn't look like it. I think you can just buy those from a bookstore like Chapters or Indigo- you can do that with some kits.

hope so lol. ill rpolly call them up to make sure and if its just a book ill wait til jameco has it or look for another bot. ne suggestions on another bot that is similar to that bot. if so can u give me a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back