Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to PIC... What should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Souper man said:
What would you suggest? I am using a 40 pin PIC, specifically a 16F877. Do you know any ICD2 clones i could build?

You've been following the Mongoose kit, have you been to my site?:)

PS use a 16F877A cheaper too.

Going back to your original question, please check out the Elmer 160 Tutorial. It's a nice basic A-to-Z tutorial authored by a ham radio operator in Michigan.

Good 40-pin DIP candidates are; 16F877A, 18F2520, 18F2620...

Mike

But better if you start from a 18pin device like PIC16F628A.Because it has plenty tutorials, supports to many LVP programmers, requires minimum hardware & space, cheaper price etc…

PIC16F628A memory of 2KB is more than enough to a beginner………..no need 8KB big chips like 877A.

If you really like big ones then…………
Instead of buying PIC16F877 better buy PIC16F877A versions.

A PIC16F874A has 4 K memory which is not as much as 877A with the same number of pins. I think the price should be cheaper?

After some revision, i decided to build Nigels programmer and use the PIC16F628A. I came to this decision because I am a beginner, and if i jump into too big of a chip i might get lost. Now some advise and helpful tips into buliding nigels programmer (bill, I saw your inchworm and i would rather have that over nigels, but with my money income I have to choose the home made route, but you inchworm+ is well done and supurb!)

I have encountered no problems with ordering the parts for the PIC project, but I do not know what rs232 converter chip to get. any help?

MAX232 for instance. or any other MAX converter chip. Surf around maxim-ic.com site.

I've been happy using the Willem programmer v4.5 I found on ebay for $49(it covers a LOT of other chips too.) I also started with the PIC16F628A, and have been compiling hex files using SDCC.

The programmer takes programming power from the USB, while taking signals from RS232 cable. My only gripe is that the English localization of the software interface has some of the fuse bits mis-labeled, but that can be ignored as long as you have them set within the hex file itself.

You can just buy a melabs programmer, specifically melabs U2 Programmer with Accessories. It's $120 and works fine, connects to your PC via USB. You pop your chip into a ZIF socket, open your hex code with the software, and away it programs. It's what we use at work and it's good.

The 16F877A is a good choice. The 18F2550 would be one too, it has on chip USB support IIRC.

I re-read the site, and it says to use his hardware, the rs232 is completely seprate.

Although my troubles dont end there, because then I need a P16pro40 programmer thing. I dont get what chip i use or anything. Nigel i need your help!!!

I want to build my own programmer though, and I need a good and easy walkthrough to nigels programmer on his pic16fpro40. NIGEL I NEED HELPZ!

Last edited by a moderator:
Souper man said:
I want to build my own programmer though, and I need a good and easy walkthrough to nigels programmer on his pic16fpro40. NIGEL I NEED HELPZ!

The P16PRO40 isn't mine, I just added it as a download as I got so many requests for programmer hardware.

At this point in time I would seriously advise an InchWorm(+) kit, it's really the way of the future!.

Also, how can i get it super cheap while still getting it from bills site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back