Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

new to microcontrollers... need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

uditag

Hi I am basically an aerospace engg., new to electronics. Got interested in microcontrollers, and now I have a mega8 AVR. I have also purchased a ucflash programmer from UC Microsys (ucmicrosys.com).

However, I am not sure how to start. I am interested in using C or matlab to program my controller but the programmer came with its own software. I know one thing for sure that the programmer is designed to understand what the software will send through the RS-232, but if I simply send similar commands from any other medium say MATLAB or C through the same COM port, then it might not work.

BEsides, I was also confused between whether i need to program the controller with RS-232 or the 10 pin DIP port. One end of that parallel cable goes into the progammer, where does the other end go?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Udit

uditag said:
Hi I am basically an aerospace engg., new to electronics. Got interested in microcontrollers, and now I have a mega8 AVR. I have also purchased a ucflash programmer from UC Microsys (ucmicrosys.com).

However, I am not sure how to start. I am interested in using C or matlab to program my controller but the programmer came with its own software. I know one thing for sure that the programmer is designed to understand what the software will send through the RS-232, but if I simply send similar commands from any other medium say MATLAB or C through the same COM port, then it might not work.

BEsides, I was also confused between whether i need to program the controller with RS-232 or the 10 pin DIP port. One end of that parallel cable goes into the progammer, where does the other end go?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Udit

Hai UDIT, Welcome to this site.

as you posses one ATMega8 you try to read C programming with AVR chips-- Obviously, you need a close study of the programmer(UC) user manual instead of seeking options. Some times general discussion or adwise would not help as we may not have a copy of UC prograamer and you need info WRT UC.

After a fresh study you will have your doubts consolidated and rather clarified even.
In general
Port selection process and programming process are different. How ever for further details, please post the schematic of the UC programmer as you may have it.

Last edited:
I can't find the ucflash programmer but only the ucflash+ programmer on the UC Micro Systems website. If this is what you have bought then it is an universal programmer designed to program a lot of different chips.

You first step is to connect the universal programmer to the PC serial port and run the software that comes with the universal programmer. You must use this software from the programmer manufacturer and nothing else.

The "target chip" you would like to program(be it an AVR or MCS51 or EPROM....)will be placed into the green 40-PIN socket(the one with a lever), you then operate the lever to hold the chip. The next step is to load the binary data(or HEX file) you want to program into the target chip into the UC Micro programming software and finally send(program) it into the chip.

How do you get/build the binary data file?

For C on AVR microcontroller, you would need to write your program in C, compile it using GCC WinAVR or compilers from other companies to get a HEX file. You might be able to load it directly into the UC Micro software and send it into the AVR or you would need to first convert it into a binary file before the software would accept it.

See udit..

Hello Udit..

hi this is simran..

You've already bought or made a programmer.. thats good..

I am writing steps for you..

Step 1. make a flash programmer..

that you have already bought..

step 2. understand internal architecture of AVR..

Go to: www.avrbeginners.net

step 3. understand how to interface various things with AVR.. very similar to 8051..

Go to : www.freewebs.com/maheshwankhede

step 4. make projects on AVR..

www.avrfreaks.net

step 5. make projects for AVR.. < go to AVR section >

**broken link removed**

step 6. make different types of robots..

http://robotroom.com/ http://robotics.com/

step 7. read application notes by ATMEL on AVR :

**broken link removed**

Follow the above steps and everything will be easy..

Hey, dont forget to read this article to refresh yourself..

http://www.devarticles.com/c/a/Embed...-Introduction/

Regards,

Simran..:)

Last edited:
Hi again..

I have also purchased a ucflash programmer from UC Microsys (ucmicrosys.com).

Buying programmers is not at all required..
specially new microcontrollers.. they are so simple to make at home.. you can easily find them on net..

you can make them in less than one us dollar..

it will work..
there are totally two softwares.. one is software in which you work and make programs.. other one is that you use to put that hex file in microcontroller..

hence, dont worry..

well.. if you are unable to match programmer cable to the computer port.. then .. you should contact the company..

OR,

if they dont help then dont worry..
ADD that device into your computer that the programmer cable fits in..

We are human.. mistakes do happen In starting..

Suggestions:

1. for programming in c.. the AVR requires 'WINAVR' software ( i hope i am right..) get the student version of it..

2. never buy anything from website until you fully discuss with their customer care..

3. make by yourself anything.. programmer etc..

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi again..

Please note down this AVR programmer..

The schematic and software is on this page.. total two downloads..

Picture:

**broken link removed**

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi all,

thanks for all your replies. That was some good help.

Now, I am using WinAVR to program my chip. Now in that while making the MakeFile, you have to tell which programmer you are using (Makefile->Pogammer). Now I am using UC microsystems ucflash programmer which does not appear in the list. Any guesses on which programmer I should use?

I am currently trying to use a BSD kind of programmer though LPT port. If it works it is much more cheaper (actually almost free!)

But still i would like to see my ucmicrosys pogrammer work. I have some sample codes i m trying to run, but i need to create the hex before i can simply upload them to my mega8 using the utility that came with my prgammer. But then why does WINAVR asks me to specify the programmer?

already Eblc1388 has indicated that there is a +version of UCflash.

Try to put the photo of schematic diagram of UCflash programmer if you have on the user manual
It will help others to offer their comments

uditag said:
Hi all,

thanks for all your replies. That was some good help.

Now, I am using WinAVR to program my chip. Now in that while making the MakeFile, you have to tell which programmer you are using (Makefile->Pogammer). Now I am using UC microsystems ucflash programmer which does not appear in the list. Any guesses on which programmer I should use?

Hi..

i dont know what your question is and what you are asking about..

but surely..

in the above post of mine.. i've posted one programmer...

better.. if you read that.. it will surely help you..

I've tried my best to answer you..

Rest is on you..

Regards,

uditag said:
But still i would like to see my ucmicrosys pogrammer work.

I guess the ucflash is the earlier version of the usflash+ version. I noticed that a 259Kb file ver 3.4 firmware upgrade for the ucflash programmer is available at the maunfacturer's website. It has the same version number as the ucflash+.

ucFlash Upgrade

So with luck, after upgrade, your old ucflash will also work with all the chips that the new one supported, and that includes most AVRs.

uditag said:
I have some sample codes i m trying to run, but i need to create the hex before i can simply upload them to my mega8 using the utility that came with my prgammer.

Try any one of the programmer selections in WinAVR and see what the compiler produces. If you end up with an .hex file then its what you'll need to download into the AVR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back