Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New To Forums. Help! With Starting A Career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slippin777

Whats up I Need Some Experienced Information From Anyone that can help. Im A Bit Confused On What I Want to Major In For A Career. Im Into all Kinds Electronics , Communications , Mathamatics And anything to do with Technology. Im Getting Ready To Start School Next Semester But Have No Idea What Field I Should get into. I Am A hands on Type Of Person. People Tell Me to get into Electronics Engineering But i have the Idea of winding up behind a Desk all day coming up with ideas and numbers. I Have pretty BAsic Knowledge From On My Own Reading Books And Other Sources. However Need To Be Pointed into the Right Direction To Pursue a Career. What Kind Of Degree Will Get Me Into What Type Of Job Offer? Thanks

I understand it is difficult to pick a major given your background.

Maybe start out in EE. In a good school you will get enough math, science (chem and physics), and cs that you can transfer into any of them without loosing much time.

Take all the field trips to see what the professionals are doing. Most often sponsored by various student chapters of tech societies.

How many years are you willing to spend in school ?

Thanks For the Response. looking to spend 2-3 years however if im really intrested i would stay longer. I am always intrested in Taking The Next step however not sure if i want to go as far as an Engineer. Im just afraid of what kind of job i can get after i get a degree. I want to be able to pop open a shell of a product and understand whats going on in the inside.

Slippin777 said:
I want to be able to pop open a shell of a product and understand whats going on in the inside.

sounds like me

just go into a technical course it doesn't have to be electrical

i did mechanics and had as hobby electronics (still my hobby) also had overhauling motorbikes and cars as a hobby (learned a lot of that too)
but i did electronics also for my career in my life now i working as a technical manager in a plumbing company still the hands on work if i want but much more managing the buissines and verry diverse

but the strong point that i experience is that i am verry diverse in what i did study and in my working career
and that i have loads of options if i want to change

an other thing is that you will be higly intressting for small and middle size companies and that is a good negoitiation position if it comes to salary and other benefits

just enjoy school and do your math thats importand in all sectors of the technic
also get some languages on the way (but choose well) chinese would be a good one korean also forget french in europe german can be usefull

good luck
Robert-Jan

If you want to do designing but don't want to be stuck at a desk all day then I'd recommend research and development. You often design a product, prototype it, test it, then proceed to the final design. This is the kind of job I'm looking for. Unfortunately this kind of job is pretty rare. :(

I most enjoyed work as and R&D engineer. For that you need a university bachelor degree with good grades. A masters degree with good grades is even better.

You can get various tech jobs will less then a 4 year degree. Mostly they will be repair and maintance related. They can be rewarding, depends on how you are wired.

If you got to a tech/trade school and then decide that you want a U degree very little of the trade school work will transfer.

It would help to know what country you are from. We have talked about this in the past. Search the forum for threads on education and jobs.

Slippin777 said:
Thanks For the Response. looking to spend 2-3 years however if im really intrested i would stay longer. I am always intrested in Taking The Next step however not sure if i want to go as far as an Engineer. Im just afraid of what kind of job i can get after i get a degree. I want to be able to pop open a shell of a product and understand whats going on in the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back