Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

new to electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaTrIx1516

Hi, i decided to try to learn about electronics and dont know where to start. Can anyone give me some good tutorials or arcticles about them so i can understand them better, im searching forums now for good sites and stuff. Thanks :D

Advice that I'd offer is somewhat dependent on your education/background and your goals or purpose for learning. With that said, electronics is very broad though there are some common basics. If you have a hobby or area of interest that makes use of electronics it helps to blend the two. An example might be someone who is interested in sound systems - check in to some audiophile (not sure of the right word) audio enthusiast's websites (or look at magazines). They often have basic courses with specific areas of interest in mind. This can help to show the relevance or importance of principles, characteristics, etc - and make the connection to something that YOU are interested in. As someone interested in amateur radio, I can find a lot of beginner's stuff within the ham radio community - some of it is stuff for everyone but much of it is tailored to someone interested in radios, communication, etc.

Radio Shack has some nice books, lots of basic stuff within this forum and elsewhere on the net.

Seek out the books of R A Penfold , this is a good a place as any to start.
Learn how to build your own test equipment and save money.
As Stevez said it all depends what area of electronics interests you,
but core items like a bench power supply , signal/waveform genorator,
freaquency counter are tools you will use all the time.

what programming language would you suggest learning. C or C++. I have ceveral c++ books, but which ;anguage is better? Thanks

tavib said:
:lol:
C++ of course

You kids and your object orientedness. Back in my day we passed arguments to functions and procedures, and we liked it.

Actually if you're thinking about getting into programming microcontrollers, this site has a Microcontroller section that always has constant activity concerning the PIC controller. It's most efficiently programmed in PIC assembly, and there's lots of ASM helpers on here. There's also PIC Basic and PIC C which you could use too. But for the truly curious of how the chip works, assembler is the way to go.

tavib said:
:lol:
C++ of course
Well, C++ is heavy and clunky. You'll be amazed with the speed-wise performance differences between C/C++. So it really boils down to the type of application required. For running time-intensive simulations, I generally perfer C anytime.

MaTrIx1516 said:
what programming language would you suggest learning. C or C++. I have ceveral c++ books, but which ;anguage is better? Thanks

What do you want to do with it? C++ is generally not used for microcontrollers, there is no good way to perform this type of memory management. C works fine and is a very powerful language. The code will generally be larger and/or slower than handwritten assembly. C is processor-independent (except of course for reading and writing the registers, ports, and other hardware items). You don't need to relearn to use a different processor. The ability to maintain & reuse complex code is much higher with C.

If you want to just do computer work, then C++ and many other programming languages are far better. Lots of new stuff, Java, etc. I'm no expert on those questions.

Hello again i need to know if theres any cheap things i can learn by. Stuff with micro controlers. Im only 14 and interested in electronics.Thx

MaTrIx1516 said:
Hello again i need to know if theres any cheap things i can learn by. Stuff with micro controlers. Im only 14 and interested in electronics.Thx

go to http://www.winpicprog.co.uk for a series of tutorials on PIC microcontrollers. you can build the hardware programmer yourself and the software is free. start out with programming and the moment you feel the need to ask a question just come here and ask. if you keep on watching the discussions in this forum you will gain a wealth of knowledge in electronics in no time.

sorry for my stupid questions , but i need to know what to do. I know nothing bout electronics and all and i dont know where to start. I wanna learn, but dont know where to start. Should i read tutorials first and then get kit or buy a kit first and try to learn as i go. Thanks.

Here's a starting point: Articles about "Electricity" their explanations on the basics of electricity are simple, easy to digest, and above all avoid handing out common misconceptions that are spread as gospel elswhere. Continuing in that vein, Bill Beaty's "Electricity" Misconceptions page. I especially enjoy his article on how transistors work.

**broken link removed** Those CDs have the basics of electronics in an easily digestible form... it's the basis of what the US Navy teaches all Sailors who need electrical knowledge for their jobs.

thanks for the reply! So what you think i should do. Read some arcticles get to know this stuff really well then buy a kit or learn and practice as i read!

MaTrIx1516 said:
thanks for the reply! So what you think i should do. Read some arcticles get to know this stuff really well then buy a kit or learn and practice as i read!

Depends on your learning style-- are you a hands-on type or a know everything about it first, type of person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back