Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New to AVR's need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogo2520

Hello and thank you to start with.
I am familiar with micro controllers just not AVR's, I usually use pic's but I guess I just had to check them out so I got this board https://www.futurlec.com/ATMegaTraining.shtml, look ok but the thing is when it came it came with a CD that was suppose to have all the info about the board and some tutorials too. The CD is blank, yep they set it with a blank CD, had a hand written title on it so someone had it but they must of forgotten to burn the info on it ( I checked it on other computers and yep its blank ). So dose anyone have this board with a working CD. and what do you guys think of it as a starter set-up
Thanks in advance
gogo

the cd is probably not blank, more than likely the session has not been closed correctly when they wrote it.

Download CD roller. (google it)
It will get all of the data from your CD. It works every time for me.

Thank You johnsmith. You were right the disk was not closed, I checked using Easy-CD Creator and also closed using the same. I can read it now course there is not much on it but any information helps. Gave a lot of examples using Basic Bascom and I have no experience with that program don't even know if that is a good program to start with. as always any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank You again
gogo

Last edited:
Thank You johnsmith. You were right the disk was not closed, I checked using Easy-CD Creator and also closed using the same. I can read it now course there is not much on it but any information helps. Gave a lot of examples using Basic Bascom and I have no experience with that program don't even know if that is a good program to start with. as always any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank You again
gogo

It has been a long time since working through a few Bascom examples, but they seemed to work o.k. The demo version at that time was limited program space, so not particularly useful for for longer programs.

If you wanted to continue with Basic, the open source GCBasic has no limits, and has ported many of their PIC libraries to the AVR. I think WINAVR is the popular open source C version compiler.

Thanks guys for the advice. I use ASM with pic's and now trying to move into C or maybe Basic haven't decided yet. kind of checking out the documentation and tutorials to see who has more going on.
thanks again
gogo

You should do a little bit of basic ASM programming to get your feet wet with AVR's it will make your more at home regardless of what language you end up using. Depending on what PIC's you programmed before AVR ASM programming is dramatically simpler.

i AGREE WITH THE STARTING OUT WITH ASM.that is were I started with pic's 35 instructions. Not sure with AVR's might get lost with all the branch commands. I came across a program called Great Cow Basic. looks interesting works with pic's and AVR's. found yesterday work with it a little tonight pretty easy so . I got led's to flash push buttons to work and a lcd up and running using two pic's 16f628a and a 16f887. next I going to go through the 12C routines to see if I can make heads or tails out of it.
thanks for all the advice guys
I suppose I should try the mega avr on it to
have fun gogo

what is a good avr chip to start out with?

Ya I did a search on ebay and found a Arduino Duemilanove board with a 328 chip on it for under 30 bucks with free shiping might be the way to go, need more research.
thank you for the info
gogo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back