Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New puppy toy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
My new puppy is very needy attention wise, so figured I'd build something to help keep him amused. Would like a few ideas to keep it cheap, duriable, and interesting for him. So far, he hasn't been to destructive (atleast with his toys, some of my stuff hasn't been so fortunate).

So far, going to use a pager vibrator and a piezo speaker. Noticed he likes old cat toys that squeak\squeal or vibrate. Both can run of a MCU pin directly. Thinking about some LEDs, but this might limit my choices for a chew resistant enclosure. Need to figure a simple and effective sensor for when this toy is picked, or moved around. Would kind of like to be able to tell the difference.

Power, most likely use rechargeable AAs, weight won't be an issue (big puppy).

Looking for easy to find enclosure, that would be reasonably resistant to chewing, prefer transparent (semi?). If I want to light it up, I could always drill some holes, LEDs are tough.

Sensor ideas. Only one I've got is a spring in a metal tube type. Maybe something better out there.

No idea how to tell if the puppy has picked it up or carrying it.

Remember a pupy is for life, not just for Christmas. :D

I don't know if this is a good idea, what happens if he chews it up and chokes on the small parts?

There are also issues surrounding lead solder and the nasty chemicals found in batteries.

Yeah, I know puppies are for life. Had my last one for 12 years. Small parts, lead, chemicals? No way I could keep him away from those things in my house. Couldn't be much worse then some of the stuff he's chewed on. Besides, he doesn't destroy his toys (yet), which is surprising, since there are plenty of cheap stuffed animals (not intended as pet toys type).

Part of the idea is to draw his attention away from parts and tools, and whatever he finds laying around. Pretty sure in a month or so we'll have the boundries defined.

Was kind of wondering if I could duel purpose the piezo speaker, sound sensor/noise maker. Haven't messed with the ADC yet, so not sure if that can be done. This is one strange puppy though, 7 months old, and hasn't barked once since I got him almost two weeks ago. Guess that's a good thing.

buy it a KONG and cram the kong full of a mix of food and odd shaped treats. the treats need to be larger than the opening, so they don't just fall out.

a dog is not a human baby, it's mind will not be fascinated by an toy that beeps and vibrates.

if you really want an electronics project out of exercising your dog, buy a weasel ball and modify the circuitry to be a bit more reactive instead of just going full speed all the time. also reinforce the tail attachment with some parachute cord.

I have quite a few toys left over from previous pets. I found the get moved around, but most of the playing involves people as well. I wanted to build something based on timers and sensors, that might distract him when he is 'playing' with something he shouldn't. He hasn't been too bad so far, but figure there will be several months of curiosity ahead.

My previous dog liked to watch TV. He knew most of the commercials, especially the Wall-Mart price reduction Happy Face, and got excited at the beginning sounds of them. He destroyed a few shoes when he was a puppy.

My latest dog likes to watch the squirrels outside a window. And to watch the big cat in the yard next door. She destroyed some baseboards in our home but no shoes.

My daughter's puppy chews everything in sight!
He learned how to fly and one time we found him on top of our dining room table. Luckily the food wasn't put there yet.

Mine seems to like cardboard. Had to work a little late today, got home, and and found he ate the box off an old set of brake pads and shoes (never got around to returning for the core deposite...). He also emptied out the dirty laundry, and eat the packaging off some automotive bulbs (no broken glass). But he made up for it when I took him out for his walk, didn't pull on the leash too much, slowed down or stopped on command. But the best part was he sat on command, when two other dog walkers past (hadn't listen before). Not too bad for the first two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back