Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New property - wiring details

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
I am moving soon to a 2-floors property. In few days I am meeting the Contractor to define details, basically electrical wiring, switches/outlets location and the like. I still have time to ask for changes and eventual additions.

1) I would like to control a certain light in the living room from three different points: both stairs' ends plus an additional one, located in the living room, far from the stair's foot. Is it reasonable?

2) I want the earth connection (javeline) effectively checked as available in all outlets. Should I ask an electrician to do it? Could I do it myself reliably? How it is done? No megger available.

3) For the room where I plan to install my bench, other than some additional outlets, should I ask for anything else?

4) While the wiring for the air conditioner is there I will install maybe two ceiling fans in different rooms.

BTW, I am not going to be involved in all that other than by requesting what I need.

Comments / suggestions on the above will be appreciated.

(1) Yes, you can use "three way switching". Get sparkie to do it.
(2) Can be done. Use LOOOOng test lead. connect one end to main earth at switchboard and check continuity at each outlet earth with suitable meter. Best to be done by sparkie(safer).
(3) phone and/or data connections
(4) ceiling fans no problem for sparkie
all above depends also on construction of property (new build/reno)

(1) Yes, you can use "three way switching". Get sparkie to do it.
(2) Can be done. Use LOOOOng test lead. connect one end to main earth at switchboard and check continuity at each outlet earth with suitable meter. Best to be done by sparkie(safer).
(3) phone and/or data connections
(4) ceiling fans no problem for sparkie
all above depends also on construction of property (new build/reno)

Thanks for replying.

It is a new build and yes, an electrician will do all.

Three-way or even more-way switches can be wired just as you would do with logic gates. Unless an electrician is required by code, it is not too difficult to do by yourself. You need to decide whether you want "any on" or "odd on" to be an on situation. Most houses are wired "odd on" for obvious reasons. That is, when you want the lights to turn off, you don't want to have to turn off all the switches that are in the "on" position. In the US, we follow what is called the NEC code. Copies of abridged versions are quite inexpensive at our major home improvement stores. I suspect Argentina has something equivalent. If it doesn't the NEC is a good reference to follow. Most, but not all, of the code requirement just make common sense.

As for wiring, one way is to run all the wiring that is needed. That is most easily done while the walls are open. If the walls are already plastered. you can do surface wiring or do a lot of fishing for wires. I don't find surface wiring along a baseboard or ceiling crown that objectionable. An alternative I am looking into for my current home is smart appliances. That is, view each fixture/appliance as a peripheral with an address. All the fixtures get is power. The switches control each device with code over the power line or wirelessly. My home is made of solid logs, mostly, and fishing new wires is very hard to do, so, such smart devices are very high on my list.

One last comment about ceiling fans. It is nice if they are wirelessly controlled. I have 2 that are 26' above floor level. It is not fun changing their speed.

Regards, John

Hola AT

2) I want the earth connection (javeline) effectively checked as available in all outlets. Should I ask an electrician to do it? Could I do it myself reliably? How it is done? No megger available.

There is a lot more than continuity checks for effective earth bonding these days .. .. not least because the increasing number of RCD, MCB and ELCB's in use .. .. it would be advisable to have your electrician do the checks. In the UK the law requires a new or part new installation to be certified as correct to current regulations by a qualified electrician. This is usually done with a standard printed document completed, signed and rubber stamped by the electrician. I haven't seen one for a good few years, but on the last ones I used, Section One was about earth bonding integrity which gives you an idea of it's importance.

S

This applies to the US/CAN:

When I wired my shop/Ham shack, I made sure every outlet has three-conductor (red-blk-wht) plus bare-Cu Gnd in every duplex outlet box. I broke out the tab in the duplex socket such that the upper one is fed from L1(blk) and the lower is fed from L2(red). Neutral is wht, Ground is the third prong...

This effectively gives me twice as many 15A circuits distributed around the room, or if I need it, I can change out the socket in any available box and replace it with a twist-lock 240V socket and have 240V available there after the initial install.

This is permitted by local codes...

Not exactly what you've asked for, but...

I've used the X10 line of automated controls for some 20 years. They're "after" construction switch or outlet devices, such as this - https://www.x10.com/x10-home-automation/switches/ws467.html (note the controller that is shown with it). These allow simple outlet/switch installation/replacement. The description gives the advantages and limitations. They are controllable from single or multiple controllers, placed wherever you want them (they simply plug into any available outlet).

It is somewhat dated technology, but I've never had any of the devices fail.

Saturday recap. Definitely, lot of things to care of yet; more than I thought.

X10 seems hard to find here and seems to be not cheap.

I am trying to avoid doing last moment connections or running unplanned wiring that I could avoid planning more detailed in advance.

Local prices of ceiling fan remote controls is extremely high! Surprised.

Air conditioners to be decided on when already living to appreciate where I actually need them. Not a fan of AC myself...

Thanks to you all for telling so many useful details. Two busy weeks ahead.

The NEC (US) has mandated a neutral at the switch. This isn't a bad idea especially for any automation system and even ceiling fans.

Depending on what your planning for a "shop", you could run a sub-panel nearby,

The shop would benefit greatly with "independent" grounds. If you have kids, it could be "worthwhile" to:
1) Lock the fusebox
2) Have a mushroom push-button. This means a contractor and associated circuits.
Aside:
The disconnect was what we had in high school. As teach exited, he hit the button to assure the equipment was off.
At work, the shop had it''s own panel located in the shop.

Some always on power might be useful. e,g, computer.

Lighting should be a separate circuit everywhere.
The shop lighting could be redundant. Two circuits.

Not sure of the requirements of AFCI's and GFCI's are.

My bench has been around a long time. The bench was hand made with a replaceable masonite sheet as the top surface. \ I put 4 duplex outlets along the front edge controlled by duplex switches. Some power was placed at the back of the bench.

What I never added was ceiling power. The edge power had issues with my feet. There was a Variac on isolated power for whatever I was working on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back