Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New project advice / research topics

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmarkin

Hello everyone,

I am in the early brainstorming phase of a project that I would like to build and would like your assistance in giving me relevant topics to research and to help with in pointing my project in the correct direction.

My experience:
Years ago I took a few beginning electronics classes in high school and junior college as well as pcb design class. I remember about 5% of what I learned back then but luckily I have no time restraints with this project so I can relearn what I need to.

The project:
I would like to build a system that would accomplish the following:

1) Have a touch pad which would allow a user to press button "3" then "Send" which would send a signal through a cable, (probably Cat5 or similar with RJ11,12 or 45 connectors), which would be "received" at the other end by a separate unit which would translate the "3" signal and illuminate the "3" led.

2) Have a similar touch pad near, (but not connected to), the "transmitter" which could be used to cancel the the transmission thereby turning off the activated led.

3) Due to the fact that the "receiving" panel might sometimes have 5 leds, 10 leds, 20 leds, etc, I don't want to simply power the led through the cable. I instead would like the "receiver" to have it's own power supply, (inexpensive consumer level dc power supply), and send signals over the cable so that the same cable could be used for either a 5, 10 or 20 led configuration.

4) Cable lengths from the "transmitter" to the "receiver" could be in upwards of 200'.

I have a PicstartPlus and have some experience programming microchips.

Questions:

1) What type of signal could be used so that the "receiver" could logically translate it and activate the correct transistor to power the correct led?

2) Is there something like this already designed that you know of that I might be able to utilize?

3) What topics should I read up on that would be directly useful in this type project?

4) Any other input to help me begin the initial design phase would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help that you are give,
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back