Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New multimeter Any Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psecody

Well I'm looking at buying a new multimeter because the only one I have is a little radioshack one that my dad got me at an RC airplanes swap meet for like 5 bucks. I was using his but it's got a bad switch and isn't working anymore.

The little one I've got now can only measure the basics and I want to get a new one with some finer leads (ones I've got are to big around) and more functions (like a capacitance and transistor ports) but I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on a good one. I looked on the internet at a few places like (I think but can't remember) futurlec and they had some that had alot of functions and they were like 15 bucks. Then yesterday I looked at radioshack and non of their meters had any capacitance or transistor inputs and very few options and they were like 50 bucks apiece.

So any reccommendations? Thanks

A fluke meter will last a lifetime but they are pricey. Worth every $ though.

Buy a nice cheap generic meter with decent acuracy (1%) if you need anything more than that, buy a real scope and start constructing your own analytical circuits. The basic ones aren't difficult.

hi,
I agree with Sceadwian, while you are learning buy simple basic function meters.

You will later discover, that when experimenting you will require, maybe 2 or 3 meters connected to your project
in order to measure its performance.

If you have two meters you are able to quickly measure capacitance/inductance using a simple oscillator.

Also recycle the bits from your damaged meter.

Regards
EricG

I bought an ELENCO M-1704 for less than $30.00. It has all of the above plus frequency up to 15 MHz.

psecody said:
Well I'm looking at buying a new multimeter because the only one I have is a little radioshack one that my dad got me at an RC airplanes swap meet for like 5 bucks. I was using his but it's got a bad switch and isn't working anymore.

I too have an old RS meter but it is LCD and auto ranging. Would not consider any replacement that wasn't. The next thing on my wish list is a back lighted LCD display, I do my best work in the dark! :)
There are all kinds of good buys on ebay.

Hi,
Buy a branded meter. If you are serious and can afford it get a Fluke, it will last a lifetime. If you are not so sure or don't have the funds, the ones sold by RadioShack in the USA are a good choice. I'd avoid the really cheap unbranded meters.

robert G8RPI.

psecody said:

The little one I've got now can only measure the basics and I want to get a new one with some finer leads (ones I've got are to big around) and more functions (like a capacitance and transistor ports) but I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on a good one. I looked on the internet at a few places like (I think but can't remember) futurlec and they had some that had alot of functions and they were like 15 bucks. Then yesterday I looked at radioshack and non of their meters had any capacitance or transistor inputs and very few options and they were like 50 bucks apiece.

psecody said:

You need to have both multimeteres Analog one and a Digital one.Analog meters speeder than digitals but for accurate measures you need a digital one.Something like to... check a led ,condensor(short or not),transistor we mostly using Analogues.but for current,voltages we need some more digits so we use a Digital meter.Either In Digital meters you can measure all of this things.Buy a Branded Digital meter & a normal Analogue one as well.

Micro controllers and simple over voltage and voltage conversion circuitry can let you home brew meters that can do quiet a few things. Simple analog calibration is a piece of cake, just compare a meter in known calibration against the readings the micro controller gets and adjust them to match.

yeah I've got both analog and digital. The analog is the one thats broken but I think I'm just going to buy a digital one

Just keep in mind, a pulsed input to an analog meter will generally result in the average volts being displayed. A digital meter will provide completly random readings.

Sceadwian said:
Just keep in mind, a pulsed input to an analog meter will generally result in the average volts being displayed. A digital meter will provide completly random readings.

Actually, a useful 'feature' of all the digital meters I've ever used is that they give an indication of HV pulses. If you measure the voltage on the collector of the line output transistor in a TV it displays the correct DC voltage that feeds it, BUT if it's running (with 1000V pulses on it) then all the decimal points light up as well. This is an excellent indication that the line output is running.

One thing to consider when purchasing any test equipment, is the chances of "accidents" while using. Name brand, properly designed gear will not detonate in your hand if accidentaly connected to say line voltage while on the incorrect range.

I have seen meters that died in a big flash from 120 VAC while mistakenly left on a current range. The current shunt exploded in a spray of liquified metal. Sure, it's operator error, but potentially hazardous.

My Fluke beeps wildly if I even select a voltage range while the probes are inserted into the DC / AC Amps sockets.

I just bought an ExTech EX330 from jameco that has all you're looking for, plus frequncy. The price was reasonable.

psecody said:

I could sell you a Fluke 87 for $100.
True RMS.

Just like New. Rarely ever used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back