Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New mobile phone adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin_t

Hi

I am designing a circuit that will be potentially used over europe. To ensure that a compatible power supply will be available in each country I was planning to use the new standard mobile phone cable as outlined in this website:

Apple agrees to industry standard mobile phone charger - V3.co.uk - formerly vnunet.com ... y-standard

Im planning to use a micro USB connection on the PCB that is compatible. However, i would like to be sure that these chargers are available for purchase and are not soley made for/by the mobile phone companies at present.

Has anyone came across them or used them for a similar application?

Justin

Micro USB is a very well documented standard and you can find lots of chargers online. However, there are current limitations on USB which are worth bearing in mind if your device will be using a lot of power.

Returning to the above post.
My circuit is not using alot of power and consumes approx 70mA.

My problem is that there doesnt seem to be great availability for the micro USB power adapters.
I think that because the mobile phone companies are all changing over thes at the start of next year they must have drained all the supply.

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on some of these? or I might be wiser to use the older type of nokia phone charger.

Justin

Well here are two, a 3-pin wall wart and a cigarette lighter version:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Quite reasonable pricing really.

If you were considering plugging into a computer then you should be fine at 70mA for powering from the USB bus. The limit is 100mA until power negotiation is used. However, there is a limit of 2.5mA during USB suspend mode. I am not sure whether you can modify the data lines and use the power only, there are USB charging specifications that allow this but I've not looked into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back