Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Metal Detectors Design Features ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

I just wanted to know about something. I had someone tell me that a newer design Metal detectors can create an Image of what it found as well as tell the value the image produced. Copper,Gold, Ect ?

True or False ?

I suppose it's possible (think of what an MRI is), but an MRI costs millions and millions (hundreds of millions? tens of millions? I'm not sure), and for that alone I don't think they would exist.

Are you sure they weren't talking about X-rays in baggage scanners?

Last edited:
1)“tell the value of image Copper, Gold, Etc” NO! It can tell magnetic metal (iron) verses Copper. Gold & Copper look the same.

2)”create an Image” Ground penetrating radar makes a good image. There are systems that measure magnetic fields that can see pretty good. With a magnetic field sensor or a metal detector is hooked up to a data recorder you can get a image by walking across a field, stepping over two feet and walking back across the field many many times. The data is fed into a computer that makes a map of all the data. I have seen pictures on the internet of people that fine 1000 year old graves this way. I use something like this to find water pipes. The resolution is not good. If I cross the field every 2 feet then that is the resolution. If your metal detector has a 2 foot head then the resolution is only 2 feet. This is only a 2D image. The radar is the only way I know if getting a 3D image. Also low resolution.

I hope this helps.

Yep Thanks. I thought something was wrong somewhere. I knew there was probably an ability to get resolution but to actually know the metal type ? nah.

Send me $5,000.00 and you to can find fabulous buried treasure. (Gold)
The new and improved black box that finds gold, silver and diamonds at any depth.
Carol for Jamestown writes us: I found this huge gold nugget in my back yard.
Call 1-800-RIP-OFFS. Operators are standing by now. Easy time payments.

Having said that;… I have looked at some of the “detectors”. Some are non functioning! Some almost work. And some can fine objects. I built a couple. I have one that finds buried pipes and wires. There is a spot where I usually park the big tractor. Months after I moved the tractor it can still find the outline of the tractor. It can find the spot where the plastic water line is but it cannot fine a 10 inch metal gas line under the back pasture. I have another that screams for the 10 inch metal pipe but can not find the water line. There is some black magic and a big load of faith in this.

ha ha ha, lol I want to say might be better to cut a twig and go for it huh.

Hey, Let's make the first metal detector with a twig attachment ? Maybe we could use a lemon tree twig he he :p

Last edited:
ronsimpson said:
Having said that;… I have looked at some of the “detectors”. Some are non functioning! Some almost work. And some can fine objects. I built a couple. I have one that finds buried pipes and wires. There is a spot where I usually park the big tractor. Months after I moved the tractor it can still find the outline of the tractor. It can find the spot where the plastic water line is but it cannot fine a 10 inch metal gas line under the back pasture. I have another that screams for the 10 inch metal pipe but can not find the water line. There is some black magic and a big load of faith in this.

Do you think the shadow/outline was rust, oil, other debris? Have you any links/information on the couple that you built?

Mike.

As far as finding where cars and tractors have been, I was measuring the magnetic fields in the earth. The flux lines twist around the car and trucks. When the tractor was removed the flux lines distorted for months. Look up “Magnetometer” “T-Coil Magnetometer” “Fluxgate magnetometer” “3 axis Fluxgate magnetometer”. I have video of people using ‘differential magnetometers’ to find twist in the earths flux. It is very revealing.

Below is a map of 2000 year old building remains in a field. He walked across the field every two feed and recorded the flux lines. It does not mater that the field was plowed hundreds of times. I know people that can find the same walls by walking with a piece of metal in their hands.

Last time the phone men came to repair the buried line, one man had a wire tracer machine and the other had a copper wire in each hand. They both said they could not get the other method to work.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 236
killivolt said:
I just wanted to know about something. I had someone tell me that a newer design Metal detectors can create an Image of what it found as well as tell the value the image produced. Copper,Gold, Ect ?
Perhaps that someone is confusing the feature of some detectors LCD displays that will show an ICON of a coin, or jewelry and such once that specific type of metal has been located. I've seen those types of detectors on the market. It's nothing more than bells and whistles for novice hunters.

HiTech said:
Perhaps that someone is confusing the feature of some detectors LCD displays that will show an ICON of a coin, or jewelry and such once that specific type of metal has been located. I've seen those types of detectors on the market. It's nothing more than bells and whistles for novice hunters.

I've seen those types of detectors on the market. It's nothing more than bells and whistles for novice hunters.

aah I'm thinking this is more what probably happened.

I first started metal detecting circa 1973 using a bfo with wooden search head. utilised a small AM transistor radio nulled & clipped to the shaft as one of the oscillators. the other one being built on top the search head in a small wooden enclosure complete with variable capacitor ctl knob mounted on top.

Now this basic bfo system could detect a coin at more than 3 inches, and i literally found hundreds of coins and objects with this method.

Other machines i have bought through the years (always second hand) have been IB. TRF. BFO. all relatively cheap to buy even when new. and all have the capability to find that elusive treasure. spending serious money on one of these all singing dancing machines makes little sense in my opinion. (most) coins etc are found near the surface ie: between 2 & 5 inches.

The downside of the bfo the banshee like wail rising on locating metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you just stick fire a bullet into the ground and graph the echo? (LIke in at the beginning of the first Jurassic Park :D)

Is it possible to make an image like that? Or was that just for movie purposes?

I have done some study on metal detectors, as I am looking to buy one.
I beleive the image is determined by the strength or weakness of the change in the magnetic field. If ab=34khz which is the coil signal, c=copper g=gold,I=iron,etc Each will change the singal, to what degree I have no clue.
these signals are sent to micro-processor, where the changes are processed,and it makes an educated guess. Also most of them say dig every signal.

Dknguyen.. have been firing into various mounds for years but no echo was noticed, even when the ear paps were used. but the end result of this did cause problem's.

Guyen: Jurassic movies are just fabricated for people like yourself.

Metal detector technology begin's & end's with the simple search head, the business end a copper wound coil on a former when energised creates a magnetic field. Dig every signal the end result will be: ring pulls. silver paper. iron. rusty objects. undiscernable blobs. 100 to 1 odds against anything of real value, albeit the thrill of what lies beneath a detector signal is what makes this a popular hobby.

Take care Man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don Wilson said:
I have done some study on metal detectors, as I am looking to buy one.
I beleive the image is determined by the strength or weakness of the change in the magnetic field. If ab=34khz which is the coil signal, c=copper g=gold,I=iron,etc Each will change the singal, to what degree I have no clue.
these signals are sent to micro-processor, where the changes are processed,and it makes an educated guess. Also most of them say dig every signal.

Are you still going to build one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back