Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New job again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
Yep changed jobs again this week. The overwhelming demand for workers and lack of them has been pushing pay rates even higher so I jumped ship once again and stepped up on the pay and stepped back on the actual work load and hours!

The last place made lots of promises but had low follow through, 6 months and no review, pay increase, or uniforms for starts, So far I have been here 4 days and I just got my uniforms ordered and there is talk of a substantial pay increase coming down the line already.

If you are wondering I am working for Savage Quality Rail Services and I am putting fuel in railroad locomotives at Gavin Yards in Minot ND which is about 15 miles from home. Pay is high, work load is low, job security is solid, and benefits are higher than anything I have received to date.

For those of you wondering a typical locomotive engine holds about 5000 - 5500 gallons of #2 diesel fuel and one top off is around 1000 - 3000 gallons and a slow day can have no trains that need fuel and a busy day may have 18 engines that need fuel, most days are between 3 - 9 engines which take about 30 minutes each including truck refuel and travel time. Plus I get paid regardless of how many needed fuel each day or the hours I worked/slept/sat at the computer and played.

Last edited:
If the pay is good and you love what you're doing, then there's nothing wrong with that. Good luck, and ENJOY!

Oh I like this part. Now instead of oil fields we will get locomotive pictures. :)

Seriously, I have this thing about locomotives so pictures would be cool, just like the thing I have about fire trucks (I still envy you on that one).

Ron

>>Pay is high, work load is low, job security is solid, and benefits are higher than anything I have received to date.

Congrats! Also: trains are awesome. Make a solar-powered one so you don't have to put diesel fuel in it.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to take pictures at this job so you will have to settle for descriptions instead. Just lookup BNSF locomotives online if you are wandering about what I see all day.

Today I worked from 8:30 AM to about 11:00 and now I have the rest of the day off!;) I had one grain train that took about 9300 gallons between the three engines. My fuel truck only holds 4100 gallons so it was a three trip fill job. Apparently according to my boss this was a tough day. :p

We are also hiring three more drivers so if anyone has a class A CDL with taker endorsements feel free to apply! Starting wage is around $55K+ a year with benefits and a considerable amount of free time most days and very little office politics! :D

4100 gallons, is that a 10-wheel fuel hauler? Is the tank gravity fed, or a pump? Does it have a vapor displacement system? Do you have any trouble lining up the buckeyes with the fuel ports on the train?

Its a newer Kenworth T800 tandem axle truck with a four chamber tank running a 160 GPM pump and 50 feet of 2 inch fuel hose.

The second truck is a bare bones Sterling semi with a 8000 - 8500 gallon tank trailer and 200 GPM pump system.

Rumor has it another tank truck may be on the way soon too being we are expanding the service fleet! Preferably a single tank type but with a larger tank capacity being 4100 gallons surprisingly does not go very far when you have three near empty locomotives each with a 5300 gallon fuel tank to fill!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back