Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New inductor winding technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see a toroid winder in action that has this crimping capability. The standard, garden-variety toroid winder is already a minor miracle, in my humble estimation.

Looks like a significant advance in the ability to wind toroids efficiently without winding gaps. Bet that winder would make Rube Goldberg proud.

It looks like it's designed primarily around a single layer coil. With a static coil diameter all you'd need is a press tool spaced properly with the incoming feed wire. It's probably really simple.

Last edited:
It looks like it's designed primarily around a single layer coil. With a static coil diameter all you'd need is a press tool spaced properly with the incoming feed wire. It's probably really simple.
Well, yeah, but have you ever seen a running toroid winder? Maybe for single-layer coils, they don't use the winders with shuttles. The ones that have a human in the loop appear to be a lot simpler.
I searched for toroid winder on Youtube to see some current examples. The last one I saw running was about 50 years ago.:eek:

I would like to see a toroid winder in action that has this crimping capability. The standard, garden-variety toroid winder is already a minor miracle, in my humble estimation.

Years ago, Elektor did an article showing how they wind toroidal transformers, I never did understand how it worked! :D

Attachments

• RM10Ferrite.pdf
    239.1 KB · Views: 215
Hi,

Very interesting. I see this as a positive step in the right direction for inductors,
however it pretty much leaves out hand winding unless we can come up with
a way to accurately squeeze the wire as needed. The shape would have to be
variable so that would make it even more difficult.

The interwinding capacitance would certainly INCREASE though, due to the
smaller gaps between winding turns.

The crimped parts of the wire are effectively plates as well.

Hi,

Very interesting. I see this as a positive step in the right direction for inductors,
however it pretty much leaves out hand winding unless we can come up with
a way to accurately squeeze the wire as needed. The shape would have to be
variable so that would make it even more difficult.

The interwinding capacitance would certainly INCREASE though, due to the
smaller gaps between winding turns.
It's usually the capacitance from one set of windings to another that's of interest (for isolation concerns), not the capacitance between two turns on the same winding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back