Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

new in electronics need help thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpickle89

i am looking at makin a simple circuit to do the folowing but i have no clue where to start

system is 12v dc
when i turn on relay 1 light 1 start to flash

light two is always on i want to use the positive out of relay 1 from light 1 to power a circuit that will cut the power to light 2
when light 1 turn on

sorry my explanation was bad

thx for your help i dont know if i should use a mini relay or solid state rely i want this to be very small so it could fit on my light wire

Last edited:
So let me see if I have this straight.

You circuit is sitting there. Light 2 is on and light 1 is off.

You connect 12v, then light 1 begins to flash, and light 2 goes off.

Is that right?

What are these lights? LED's? Flood lights?

What powers light 2 when 12v is not applied?

In the first line you turn light #2 off when you turn the flashing light #1 on. Then your next line asks to turn light #2 off when 12v is applied. If light #2 is turned off in line #1 how can it be turned off again in line #2 when i9t is already off?
What turns light #1 on? A push button or a sensor of some sort?
What turns light #2 on?
How big are the lights?

If your lights are small LED's (20ma or less) you should be able to program a small microcontroller to provide the logic and flashing functions. If the inputs are switches or buttons, the controller can easily accept them as inputs to the program. You would not need any relays, just a few resistors and a 5 volt power supply.

i made a corection to my post it was wrong sorry
these are 12 v led light for my motorcycle

Last edited:
I think you guys (BrownOut & Jaguarjoe) are waaaaay overthinking this.

All the O.P. needs is a simple NC (normally-closed) relay, if I read their question correctly: they want light 2 to go out when they turn light 1 on. Simple.

This should do it:

**broken link removed**

(A solid-state relay could be substituted here, but it would have to be a NC relay, which I've never seen, but they must exist, right?)

so nothing else than a relay could do this job it sonly because teh smallest relay i found is to big thx for your help

You might not even need a realy, but since you still won't tell us what these lights are, we can't suggest anything.

Well, if it's just LEDs you're controlling you could probably use a discrete circuit (a circuit made of discrete components like transistors, etc.) to do this. Could fit on a little piece of perfboard. How small do you need this to be?

Last edited:
I think you guys (BrownOut & Jaguarjoe) are waaaaay overthinking this.

All the O.P. needs is a simple NC (normally-closed) relay, if I read their question correctly: they want light 2 to go out when they turn light 1 on. Simple.

This should do it:

**broken link removed**

(A solid-state relay could be substituted here, but it would have to be a NC relay, which I've never seen, but they must exist, right?)

You're underthinking it.

Hi,

If you give us details of the LEDs you are using then someone will be able to tell you a smaller way using transistors, but we need to know some values eg. forward voltage and current consumption of the LEDs.

Al

Edit, sorry BrownOut, cross posting!

Al

Last edited:
Guys, guys:

Look, since the O.P. said

i have no clue where to start

Let's not browbeat them with demands for forward voltage, current consumption and such, which they probably have no idea what they are. No harm, no foul.

However, O.P., it really would help us to know at least how many LEDs we're talking about here, because we need to know how much current (amps) you want to control. Then someone can come up with a circuit for you. 'K?

We can't suggest a solution unless we know how much current is reqired. We are giving him a clue where to start -- find out and post the important details!

light two is

Voltage 12 V 4 led = one t10 bulb
Max voltage 15.5 V
Power 1 W

and current coming from relay 1 light 1 is 12v 5 amp

same current going to light 2

Last edited:
For a 1W bulb, you can drive it with something small like this small transistor https://www.micropik.com/PDF/IRF510.pdf or an equivilent device. This would actually be overkill, but you probably won't even need a heat sinc. Sorry I can't make a schematic for you right now. I'll check back later and if nobody else has posted one, I'll try to scrawl out one on my tools at home.

You can use it to drive your 1W light. It won't replace an SPDT directly, but a circuit can be designed, using this part as a driver, that can replace the relay. So you can save a little space, but you're still gonna need some space for the circuit, which you need anyway because you want a light flasher.

yes but to turn off light 2 when light one turns on so i am back to square one right how to replace the spdt relay with some simple smaller circuit

if the circuit could fit around the cabling so i could shrink wrap it it would be nice

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back