Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New idea? Module on top of PC Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobFL

This is my first time posting about anything like this, or having an interest in this. Please bear with me.
The Problem: I have tons of tedious keystroke tasks that I do on a computer.

The Equivalant of: I use macros for tedious tasks within windows Macro Magic, Autoit, etc.
Within DOS you would use a batch file to execute a bunch of instructions or commands.

I want to run a macro from outside of the box.
I would like to build a module that fits on top of a standard 110 key keyboard. And the robotics to accompany this, Program this module with different programs to run an assortment of instructions.

Questions:
Does this allready exist?
What materials could you recommend for the module sitting on top of the keyboard? springs? rubber? metal?
I guess my #1 concern is - Since I dont know why I cant find this, what at all or how much of this concept has already been created. No need in reinventing the wheel.

I am sort of impatient (in a good way)- it drives me to create. When I dont see the invention I want, I make it.

Thanks,
Rob

Jax FL

I think there are gaming keyboards with a feature like this. What would it allow the the methods you mentioned would not?

to contribute to answering your question, i would just put in in a plastic enclosure. If you want it secured to the top, use screws or a glue meant for plastic.

Last edited:
The entire project should actually fit within the keyboard enclosure itself, excluding a visual interface.

Way back when...I darkly remember Preh of Germany built a macros keyboard (Win95?). Autocad, Wordperfect etc. The problem was that, with every new software release, you had new or changed macros and, with that, you needed new software for your extra keyboard. Great hobby project though if you do not intend to upgrade software. E

That could also be taken care of by making it reprogrammable. Either by a cable or by an interface that lets you record macros from the keyboard. Either one is feasible really.

Hi,

If i understand you correctly you want to add your own buttons (or keys) so that you can run programs and other tasks on the computer.

If so, you could design your own keyboard scanner with a small uC (less than 10 dollars USD) and use it with a simple RS232 interface.
You could put as many keys as you need and code the keystrokes into whatever you want them to do. You could recode whenever need be.
A small Windows program using the Windows API would take care of the PC program launch part of the task.

You could put as many keys on it as you need, and of course label them however you want.

Alternately, it is possible to create a program that reads the keyboard and launches whatever programs you want without building any hardware. It's not hard to do this. The one requirement would be that the program would probably have to have the input focus so it can detect the keyboard strokes, but it may also be possible to install a system hook to read the keyboard constantly.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're looking for something like this:
**broken link removed**
but without all of the 3D control. Read the bottom of page 2.

Close.. reiteration

First, Thank you all for responses. Better turn out then I thought I might get!

3v0.. Closest interpretation I think.
Sceadwian – No, it should not fit within the keyboard. The beauty of this is that it needs to be portable, something that can be used at a different workstation.
Mral- I think you are on to something there.
jJrz126 – I like that Space Pilot setup – that is cool, but not at all what I am looking for.. Cool device though. Just different application.

Here is a graphic of what I imagine it would be like..

I am looking for a more independent setup.

Completely independent of the computer. (This is thinking out side of the box)
In fact, the mouse, not needed at all. I have no interest on the mouse.

I am looking for something SO independent, that when you program the keyboard typing relay, that the buttons will depress regardless of there being anything there. Why? Because I don’t want the computer to interfere with its program. (This isn’t what its intended for) but you could have a mock chat relay conversation like an AI. The keys would type, and hit enter.. and the person on the other end would think someone is there. I know we have created better ways to do such a task. (That’s not what I would use it for) Its too hard too explain the how and why I need to build this. I know it is possible. I just have to research research..

Attachments

• final.jpg
    final.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 144
It would be far more practical to make a device that you would plug the keyboard into and then plug into the computer, ordinarily the keyboard would be allowed to pass through it's keystrokes, but your device could intercept modify or enter it's own. This would be very easy to do with Ps2 style keyboards but could easily work with basic USB keyboards as well. It is never THAT hard to explain something try a little harder, you obviously have a specific use for this in mind, what is it?

purpose for use

I need to re-image 20 PCs. over the course of the day (xtimes 2). These are not your typical PC. They have different OSes on them. The processes and software changes. I would need to program this RS232 unit to mechanically press buttons I request to be hit. It can be very linear, but timed. instruction - Tap R key wait 1 second, Tap O key wait 1 second.. I type in the same keystrokes. It is not that hard of a job to do. But it is a tedious process that I know can be simplified. Either Find a monkey to hit these strings, or build an unmanned keystroke typing apparatus for the keyboard. Thats it in a nutshell. But its complicated why I cant just program the PC to type this in. This has to be external of the PC entirely. Is this not the best board for the job? I thought the electro tech online tied in to robotics.

I really appreciate your input - I am out of my element on this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back