Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Hot Air Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Been playing with new hot air tool......most of the bits removed from scrap oem pcb. Tiniest IC (LP2951 - 3mm x 3mm) I've ever attempted!

11121817294888633703.jpg 11121819183695162328.jpg IMG_5825.JPG 11121817062087226265.jpg 11121818391292798296.jpg IMG_5840.JPG IMG_5817_a.jpg

Regards,

AB

Last edited:
How much did you spend on it?

Seems solid.

Did you get some liquid/jell flux? Once you used it for part removal you will wonder why anyone would do without.

Hot air is great for heat shrink tubing too :)

Hi,

What's this jell flux? How does that work with regard to part removal? Never heard of using flux for part removal but if it eases the process then it sounds like really good stuff to have. Removing some parts using the hot air tool can be tricky when you try not to thermally over stress the part.

Last edited:
I don't know about gel flux, but considering your location, I suspect you need to use and fix lead-free tin-solder joints. ChipQuik is an American brand for a spooled solder-like material that makes a low-melting alloy when added to solder. You add this solder, then remove the component with much less heat. Excess is wiped off the board with solder wick. I suspect is is basically a gallium/bismuth solder. Almost any very-low temperature alloy should work. Avoid alloys with indium, if you have anything with gold plating on it.

John

Flux prevents oxidation of the base metal, soldering or desoldering oxidation is bad. Oxides formed during (de)solder prevent heat flow, generally speaking oxides are insulators!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back