Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sockles

Hey guys!

Obviously new here. I happen to find this site looking to some how come up with a simple circuit to downgrade 12v DC to 7.5v DC. Can anyone help? Or should I start a completely new Thread on it?

Anyway not new to Forums. Also on Trailvoy.com. Do a lot of lighting mods to my car. (see Gallery). I hope to learn some stuff about 555 timers and how to program them. And I plan to take a circuitry class next semester.

Sorry for the long post...:D

All About Circuits : Free Electric Circuits Textbooks
Get a head start on your circuitry class =) The tabs at the top provide vast amounts of information, pretty much the same stuff you'll get in school. The forums are similar to here but much smaller, still a good resource.

That being said, 12V to 7.5V can be done simply, depending on what the 'load' is. What are you trying to make run on the 7.5 volts and how much current does it use?

I'm working on putting a little camera that will probably be sitting in the grill of my car. Long story short, it'll show up on my navigation screen. kinda like a reverse camera just in front. Its a little project im going to be testing out.

Anyway the camera will be run off of my Car battery 12vDC and the camera itself only uses 7.5vDC at 300mA or .3A. Thats really all I know...

Last edited:
You'd need a linear regulator, but if you're not familiar with electronics it might not be a good idea to go down designing or trying to build your own at the start.

Have you thought of using an inverter 12V DC to 120V AC and then using the cameras normal power supply adapter? It would have to be wired to the battery of the car through something that turned off when the car wasn't running though.

Also underneath the hood of a car is NOT a good place for a camera.

I've seen these linear regulators before. Though can I get it at a radioshack (Over priced but that what I got)?

I do have a couple inverters under my seats but I'd rather not take those up by a camera. I've done a lot of work on my engine so the engine bay heat stays at a very low temperature. I've got monitoring hardware throughout the car also.

Say I'd like to design this. What other parts would I need? I've got breadboard, Great at soldering so i'll probably be fine putting it all together. as long as I don't have to program anything. (that stuff goes straight over my head.)

Thanks for being patient and helping. I dislike noobs too if im good at something. lol

I just checked the Yellow pages for your area. This might be alternative to Radioshack.

**broken link removed**

WOW Thanks So much!!
about 5 minutes from where I go to school!!
Looks like I'm going there tomorrow!

I'm guessing the prices will be cheaper and not like a 1.60 for an LED? Though I order LED's off of Ebay anyway.

**broken link removed**
R1 = 100R
R2 = 470R

Hey Sockles,

Welcome aboard... you're already off to a great start with this place. You actually provided your location in your profile. That's a rare treat for us old timers here.:)

Thanks!
Unfortunately that Mainline Electronics supply place went out of business. So I guess I'll be ordering off of Digi-key from now on. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back