Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New guy with an question

Status
Not open for further replies.

beninarkansas

I have an XM portable radio (MyFi) I can listen to live programs when at home or in the truck, however the internal FM transmitter is only good to about 30 feet. I'd like to extend this range to about 400' so I can listen on an FM radio at work (I work in a factory and am not able to set up the satellite antenna) I would like to be able to leave the unit hooked up in my truck and tune an FM radio from inside work to get the audio. The area where I park is greater the the 400' in diameter so I would not interfere with licensed FM stations. First question is where do I start? Has anyone built a transmitter like this? Thanks

like hero said, search the forum, there has been tons of fm transmitter threads!!!. Just search google for "rf amplifier"

Thanks for the links, but when I say I'm a new guy, I really mean it. I can and have looked all over the net for transmitters but to be honest I have no idea what to look for when it comes to schematics or what I would need to make my project.

Most FM transmitter circuits on the web are very poor quality and have a short range.
They are mono, not stereo.
Their FM frequency drifts all over the place.
They have severe distortion and are very muffled sounding, worse than an AM radio.

There are some high quality FM stereo transmitter kits available for radio pirates on ships. They might work for you.

It will interfere with a radio or TV at work and cause a complaint. Then the feds will track down your illegal transmitter and confiscate your truck.

It would probably be easier and less expensive just to buy a home docking system for the XM receiver and use the extising receiver at work.

I dunno, feed the output into a 1KW PEP linear amp. That ought to punch though factory walls and all that electrical noise. The good news is you will be sharing with lots of other people. And a grateful FCC will be knocking at your door to thank you in no time.

For the humor challenged, that was a joke. Basically, unlicensed FM in the USA (Arkansas, right?) is very limited. Unlikely to go 400 feet with no obstructions - definitely not through walls and a factory environment. Boosting it will probably you in trouble.

Lol hero, he lives in arkansas, which is in the USA. lol get orientated with your geography :D

He filled his location in after I made that post.

It's also quite possible that his forum handle just refers to the fact that he's resided and/or visited Arkansas (sometimes "Ben" and "been" are pronounced the same.) With all the phonetic substitutions people like to put into their handles, one can't be too sure about anything these days.

pc88 said:
It's also quite possible that his forum handle just refers to the fact that he's resided and/or visited Arkansas (sometimes "Ben" and "been" are pronounced the same.) With all the phonetic substitutions people like to put into their handles, one can't be too sure about anything these days.

True, but excruciatingly unlikely. Anyway, it was an off-the-the cuff facetious remark, as indicated by the smiley.

IOW, *whoosh*, and I now back slowly away.

Torben

Uh, I don't know what dialect of English PC88 speaks but been is usually either pronounced bean (long e) or bin (short i). What dialect pronounces it ben (short e)?? Ben is almost always pronounced with a short e. And I think it is a safe bet to parse beninarkansas as "Ben in Arkansas". However, he really should have filled in his location.

Oh, yeah, the XM footprint kind of narrows his location down a bit, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back