Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New guy saying Hello There.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDudde

Hello Everyone;

I am really a noob at electronics, but I want to start building/design circuits and I wanted to know where I should start. I thought that this would be a good way to get input and maybe learn from the 1000s if not 1000000s of years of experience that the combined members of this forum have. Thank you for your time and for reading this post along with any pointers you can leave. :)

Welcome to ETO, SomeDudde!

Knowing nothing of your level of experience, this is as good a place as any to start (and it's free): **broken link removed**.

As you go along, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Welcome SomeDudde to the forum. We are glad to help you. One caution, make sure you follow the rules of the forum. Myself I have been working in electronics for over 50 years, and I still love what I am doing.

Hello Cowboybob;

Thank you for the link, I just downloaded this pdf(http://www.noisemantra.com/Physical Computing/Intro to Electronics.pdf). It gave me some good knowledge, but it was too basic for me. Thank you for the new link, it seems to have a lot more information. I will get to reading it.

I am a noob, however, I do know the differences between a cap and a resistor and the such(not sure where i got that knowledge from though). :)

Thank you for your time and for the assistance.

Hello k7elp60;

I just started actually getting into electronics, I have replaced a few capacitors on my motherboard and have replaced a few burned resistors/caps and a few other obvious things on my computer monitor and TV(I am very cheap :)) I usually like to keep things for as long as possible and that is pretty much the reason I am looking at actually understanding the inner workings of things. I will keep an eye on the rules as to not break them too often; can't promise that I will never do it. :(

Thank you for your time and input. I appreciate it.

Hi, and welcome,

My advice is to learn circuit analysis as best as you can, possibly ongoing as you go. Nodal analysis is widely applicable and really is just a step up from Ohm's Law.
Theories in Engineering Science are based on math and geometry, so the more math you have the better. Algebra probably as a min, or at least a little algebra.

Welcome to the forum dude.

Me too, I make things last as well.
I have a 10 year old rover held together with luck.

What area of electronics interests you the most, audio, radio, computing, microcontrollers?

If you can afford it, buy The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill. Getting a bit old now, but still regarded as the bible for electronics. Goes right from the basics to the more complicated stuff. There is also tons of stuff on the internet too. As with anything else, the more you do it, the more you learn.

I have the same book, and I second that.

Hello Dr Pepper;

Thank you, I am leaning towards MCUs. Controlling hardware seems extremely interesting and fun for me.

Hello Simonbramble;

I am reading as much as I can about it. I am looking into buying a PI or an Arduino so that i can get into programming and trying to understand things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back