Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New forum slow as tar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr RB

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the new forum is really really slow?

I can understand the slow download speed as it mentions at the page top about changes still being made.

But what about the really slow scrolling and video updating? That's even after the downloading is complete. It's like the whole video engine is run though some slow as crap Java interpreter. Please don't tell me we're going to be stuck with this poor performance for good, it's like 4 times slower just to scroll the page up/down with the scroll bar...

Hi Roman,
Running fast as usual at my end, using XP Pro and Mozilla/Firefox.

Have a good 2010

No problem here like Eric I use Firefox and XP Pro SP3.

Have a good new year.

Seems slower here, but this isn't designed for IE6. The layout is really messed up.

That's what happens when developers don't do a cross browser compatible application. Poor development results in the 'This site prefers whatever browser'. Sad really.

IE6 was released in 2001 juust before Windows XP. In other words it's from the Windows 98 errra. Nothing is designed for it specifically nowdays , if you think IE6 should be supported forever that is unfortunately not going to happen, complete compatability with IE6 would require a simple and advanced version of nearly every applicaton to be developed.

I'm going to get this site working as best i can for ie6. vbulletin actually released the product which had many errors with ie6

Sorry to say but that's a 'not my problem' attitude. Site worked before, doesn't work now. If it requires the old software to work again you can't fix that, that's part of going along with upgrades.

In all honesty people don't want upgrades they don't want the cutting edge they want what works for them and now. If you chose the software upgrades to go with what people want now en mass... <shrug> You chose that.

IE6 was released in 2001 juust before Windows XP. In other words it's from the Windows 98 errra. Nothing is designed for it specifically nowdays , if you think IE6 should be supported forever that is unfortunately not going to happen, complete compatability with IE6 would require a simple and advanced version of nearly every applicaton to be developed.

While I agree with what you say, as a developer of applications for the web I follow the trend of the internet. In the last month IE6 was reported to be in the top 5 browsers with at least more than 10% of users.

In this log ( **broken link removed** ) for the previous month it has 15% of users using IE6 still, that's fourth in the list. I know charts of browsers vary but that's still pretty much up there, I'd say. On this site there are 116,000 users, at 11% that's still 12670 users may not be able to view the forum as intended.

I agree that some websites need the cutting edge of technology, but forums are simply message boards and as you say, the site worked before and doesn't now. The question has to be asked, why upgrade. Is it because the older software won't work after a certain date due to other software or hardware upgrades or is it because a newer product came along that was supposed to be better. We all know what happened when Windows Vista came out! Sheesh, what a shambles that was.

I never upgraded to Win 98. I waited for Win98SE after all (well most of) the bugs had been got rid of. Never went to Vista, always WinXP. Now I await other users to test and get the fixes for Win7 :D

This is not meant to be negative, just an opinion based on experience. No offence meant EM. The site is great and I can use Firefox, Chrome or Opera if I have too much of a problem as I have all those installed too. :)

I started having more and more problems with IE6, so now I use Firefox, with IE6 in reserve.

This site works well from here, so no complaints.

I've been using Google Chrome for like 6 months now and its worked great. Page loads are faster, everythings so organized, you can get custom 'skins', and each tab is its own process so if something goes wrong it can be killed without losing work in other tabs. That makes it more secure too. The coolest feature is that the address bar is also the search bar. Very simple design. Of course I keep IE7 around in case Chrome doesn't support something in a webpage (rare). Oh and the new forum look very good! I think I would agree with some that it's a little 'whited-out' though.. :)

Last edited:
The site runs the same for me with FireFox 3.5.6; nice and fast.
In the last month IE6 was reported to be in the top 5 browsers with at least more than 10% of users.
Isn't IE6 full of unpatched security holes? That would be the main reason to dump it IMHO.

The site runs the same for me with FireFox 3.5.6; nice and fast.

Isn't IE6 full of unpatched security holes? That would be the main reason to dump it IMHO.

To believe the hype of security issues in any microsoft product is to buy in to those who are anti microsoft. This article ( **broken link removed** ) shows firefox has had issues too, notably 62 fixes issued for Firefox 3.5.6. The problem is rarely the software, just the end users, many of which have no firewall or anti virus, or visit 'risky' websites to download that elusive freee software that's supposed to help you out. And those who do have a firewall and antivirus often fail to maintain them, expecting the software to do all the work.

I have a home network of 1 server, 1 desktop WS and two laptops. The only one that has had any virus is mine and that wasn't a software issue, simply a 'forgot to switch brain on' moment :D

When upgrading software I use the old adage, if it ain't broke don't fix it, and I look to see if the benefits are worth the hastle.

To believe the hype of security issues in any microsoft product is to buy in to those who are anti microsoft.
Even Microsoft doesn't recommend it anymore and advises people to upgrade to ie8.
Definitely, FireFox also has had issues too, hence all those upgrades.

i think that it's going to take some getting used to, but i think that it is better than the old version.:) i am kind of bummed out about the chat not working though:(

Wiki has a different pie chart than what angie showed, but either one still shows IE to be heavily used.
Usage share of web browsers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For a web developer, creating a cross-browser platform is a nightmare. My vote is to boycott IE as they always seem to be the bottleneck.

Last edited:
You want to disregard two thirds of the internet users?

Mike.

No, you misunderstood my meaning. I mean users should boycott IE and use an alternate browser. Microsoft seems to not go with the flow of browser development in some sort of attempt to hold a monopoly or something. Of course I would not want to exclude anyone, I am just annoyed with MS at this time as I have had to make so many work arounds to accommodate IE browsers on a non profit website. Real pain.

I mean users should boycott IE and use an alternate browser.

Ironically IE was the first mainstream browser, and those that followed developed theirs without following the 'norm' that had been set by IE. It is this variation in programming that leads to poor cross- browser compatibility, so surely it is the other browsers that are at fault for not following standards. I'm glad other car manufacturers followed Ferdinand Verbiest's idea of round wheels on the car :D

Even CSS renders different in all browsers with certain aspects (such as padding) so trying to build a site that is W3C compliant, which is also cross browser compatible is difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back