Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New desktop computer won't POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
Hello again, everyone!

This question actually goes to all you computer techies out there:

Some of you may remember that I was thinking about purchasing a desktop computer from a friend of mine. Well, it happened--last night I bought it and put it together today. Now the problem is this: When I turn on the computer, the fan turns on, as do all the lights, but the computer just doesn't POST. My monitor just stays blank. I've tried both the VGA and HDMI outputs, on both video cards, and neither one works. Any thoughts to why a computer wouldn't boot? I've tested the PSU and made sure all the outputs were good (I heard that's one of the main reasons it wouldn't work), so I was wondering what else might have happened? Also, when I start it up, I hear a beep and everything but there's no signal to the monitor. Not sure if it just won't boot, or if it might be a problem with the video output....?

Thanks for any suggestions, guys!
Best wishes,
Matt

Divide and conquer. Remove all but one video card. Remove all peripheral cards. Disconnect all disk drives. Disconnect the keyboard. If that fails, determine what beeps your particular BIOS puts out for specific failures after power-up. One beep can mean a failure, especially if it is a short beep.

Check out this link: https://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=guide_beep_codes

Thank you ccurtis, that site is very helpful!

It gives off just a single beep. According to the link, that means the memory refresh circuitry failed. I suppose I should check the RAM?

I'm not sure if it's an issue with the video cards, or if it's something else. Would damaged RAM cards cause it to not display anything on the monitor?

Thank you!

Regards

I would re-seat the RAM, yes that can cause the system to halt. You can even remove some RAM, or swap RAM modules in and out.

I would re-seat the RAM, yes that can cause the system to halt. You can even remove some RAM, or swap RAM modules in and out.

I was thinking that'd be my next step. It's late now, and I'm about to go to bed, but first thing in the morning I'll be switching it around and seeing what could be wrong. Eventually I'll be getting a brand new set of cards, but I'd like to get the rig up and running first, if possible :D

Many thanks,
Matt

Your welcome. Best wishes. I know what you mean. I'm not an expert but have fixed a computer or two. Hopefully we can fix yours. Good niight, Matt.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back