Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New desktop computer--should I buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
A friend of mine is selling his old desktop machine and has offered it to me for a very good price. I've been thinking of buying a desktop for a long time, but I haven't had the means. I'm trying to decide if I should jump on it. These are the specs:

Cooler Master Centurion 5 case with clear side panel
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
Intel i7 3.4ghz processor
Cooler Master V8 Cooling system
3GB OCZ 1600mhz RAM
2 ATI Hydravision 4650 Graphics cards
Cooler Master 650W power supply
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive

I realize some of it is outdated, but I believe it's easily upgradable. He's offered it to me for $400.

As for cosmetics, it's got some minor dents and scrapes, but is in overall good condition. I know this thing's worth upwards of $1000, so it's definitely good for the money, but I thought I'd get some more opinions.

Thanks guys!
Matt

what exactly is outdated? and yes.. half of what you get costs more of what
you pay.

Outdated probably wasn't the right word. What I meant was that they are not the newest models around, but they're still quite good. Example, I believe newer versions of the motherboard and graphics cards are out, but I could easily use what is there now. It sure beats my laptop :D

i don't know what laptop you got..but even if you check the less important part of that offer... which is the
"Cooler Master Centurion 5", at newegg.com costs $54.99 and at my country costs 66.52 euro. only that detail i
guess it's enough so you can judge.

My recent upgrade costed me 150 euro and it's only an low end PC, CPU G840@2.8GHz/ Asus low end
garbage mainboard and 4GB DDR3-1066MHz RAM.

Last edited:
My laptop's a lenovo thinkpad w520. core i7 processor, 2.00 GHz. Currently have 4 gigs of RAM (first thing I'd do to the desktop machine would be to up the RAM to at least 4 gigs, if not 6 or 8).

The graphics card on my laptop is pretty much junk. It seems to be a fairly basic model and has trouble running some programs. That's the main reason I'd like to upgrade to a desktop model for all my main work.

what you got looks pretty decent...but if it is enough it depends of what
you do, so do you work with it or you play games? gaming can be the most
hardware demanding task.

i don't see any reason you go for 8GB RAM especially if you're on winXP.

what you got looks pretty decent...but if it is enough it depends of what
you do, so do you work with it or you play games? gaming can be the most
hardware demanding task.

i don't see any reason you go for 8GB RAM especially if you're on winXP.

I'd be using win7 ultimate x64. Video editing eats up a lot of RAM too, which is the main reason I'd like to upgrade.

I'd be using win7 ultimate x64. Video editing eats up a lot of RAM too, which is the main reason I'd like to upgrade.

What program do you use to edit with?

What program do you use to edit with?

I currently have the Adobe CS6 package (a gift from a friend). I mostly use AfterEffects, though the package also includes PremierPro. Photoshop is in there too, and sometimes I need to have both AfterEffects and PhotoShop open.

Overall, for the price if you feel comfortable with it then buy it. The only current drawback is the RAM installed is only 3 GB, however, that motherboard will support 16 GB which you will much appreciate once you place a 64 bit OS on the thing. The past few days I have completely refurbished my wife's old system that died. New motherboard and 32 GB of RAM installed with Windows 7. I used 4 sticks of 8 GB each. You have 4 slots so I would stuff them with 4 GB sticks and use all four slots. Overall I would pop the $400 and add RAM and be done with it.

On a side note I gave her new hard drives and still need to retrieve some data off her old drives. There is a pair of WD 320 GB Caviar drives that were in a RAID1 array and another pair of Seagate 200 GB drives also previously RAID1. Once I get her stuff off them and moved if you have any use for them (like for storage) they are yours for the asking. I have been tossing all the old PC junk around here and the last thing I need is more stuff. The board you are looking at has 8 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors so if the case has the space you may have use for the 320 GB drives I have. I have been trashing stuff left and right. :)

Ron

Overall, for the price if you feel comfortable with it then buy it. The only current drawback is the RAM installed is only 3 GB, however, that motherboard will support 16 GB which you will much appreciate once you place a 64 bit OS on the thing. The past few days I have completely refurbished my wife's old system that died. New motherboard and 32 GB of RAM installed with Windows 7. I used 4 sticks of 8 GB each. You have 4 slots so I would stuff them with 4 GB sticks and use all four slots. Overall I would pop the $400 and add RAM and be done with it.

On a side note I gave her new hard drives and still need to retrieve some data off her old drives. There is a pair of WD 320 GB Caviar drives that were in a RAID1 array and another pair of Seagate 200 GB drives also previously RAID1. Once I get her stuff off them and moved if you have any use for them (like for storage) they are yours for the asking. I have been tossing all the old PC junk around here and the last thing I need is more stuff. The board you are looking at has 8 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors so if the case has the space you may have use for the 320 GB drives I have. I have been trashing stuff left and right. :)

Ron

I contacted a friend of mine (a real computer nut) and he has 4 4GB cards. He's offering them to me for around $50. I'm considering it, but it's definitely pushing my budget. However, I am searching for a new job at the moment, and several of my prospective ones would pay it all back (computer and extras) in a single paycheck. That is why I think I've decided to jump on it. Still undecided on the RAM cards though. I know that price ($50 for 16 gigs) is a steal, especially for these ones: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144. I think I'm going to wait until I get the computer and decide from there. RAM will definitely be the first thing I look into upgrading. My laptop now has 4 gigs, and my old desktop at home has 3. It can't handle much, so 16GB should help a lot.

As for the offer for the drives, thank you very much! I'll PM you :D

Many thanks for the input everyone! You all have been a huge help!

Best wishes,
Matt

I currently have the Adobe CS6 package (a gift from a friend). I mostly use AfterEffects, though the package also includes PremierPro. Photoshop is in there too, and sometimes I need to have both AfterEffects and PhotoShop open.

Ok, I use CS5. I really don't need the latest version. I use Photoshop and Illustrator, I used to use Flash. I don't know if I have anyone out there that dual boot windows and Mac.

But, the demand on resources is much lower, when using these programs. Also, I benefit from web surfing more freely than windows user's.

A Mac Mini is about $700 loaded with 4gb ram. The core I7 is plenty to run your program. Mac Mini 500GB $600.00

Mac Mini 1TB $700.00

Pound for Pound as powerful as any that I've worked with. Dual Boot capable. At the University most Faculty are changing their minds.

After 3 yrs on a Mac I tend to agree. Based on what your wanting.

Sorry, I like my Windows and use it for what it's best and the Mac for everything else.

Most likely I'm the only one willing to stand out from the rest, I will sorely regret this post I'm sure.

kv

Edit: I should have posted earlier. Ron will set you up:)

DerStrom8, Nice thing about RAM is nothing says you need it tomorrow. :)

RAM can always be added in time when the budget allows for it. However, good deal you are being offered. Got your PM and replied. Hell, the drives are yours for the asking as I'll never use them. I just need to retrieve some of Kathy's data off them then I format them and send them to you. No problem at all.

Hey KV & how goes it? Yeah, as to the forever Windows / MAC thing. I use MAC and like it, however, between work and home I live in a Windows world really dictated by work. My little world runs on Microsoft leaving me little choice. I am a captive of the evil empire. Seriously, for what I need to get done and how I need to do things the MS world works for me. Just tools in the big toolbox of the job. :)

One real good deal for me is because my company uses MS globally we get to use the Microsoft HUP (Home User Program) which amounts to getting versions of the software I use at work for literally a few bucks for use at home. Pretty sweet deal overall. Office 2010 Professional was like $20 including the disk mailed to me. Sure going to suck when I retire! :)

Ron

DerStrom8, Nice thing about RAM is nothing says you need it tomorrow. :)

RAM can always be added in time when the budget allows for it. However, good deal you are being offered. Got your PM and replied. Hell, the drives are yours for the asking as I'll never use them. I just need to retrieve some of Kathy's data off them then I format them and send them to you. No problem at all.

Can't thank you enough, Ron. I really appreciate it :)

KV, I use PCs because I absolutely despise Macs. I started off with macintosh computers, and never liked the layout. It was extremely difficult to modify it and make it look the way I wanted. All the Mac operating systems are good for is running programs. I guess if that's all you need, then a Mac will be just fine. If all I was doing was video editing, I'd look into getting a Mac, though spending twice as much as a PC wouldn't be worth it to me. PCs can do most of what Macs can do, plus some!

But no, I'm the kind of guy who likes to modify his computer, make it look good, have it do exactly what I want it to do. You could say I'm sucked into the "evil empire" of MS, though it's the lesser of two evils if you ask me. Mac is trying to take over everything, and I, for one, am resisting it. Besides, I just like the look and operation of Windows better. I have much more control over the OS and I like the layout. I'm sticking with it as long as possible ;)

Regards,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back