Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New design of DC-power jacks (testers needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

Hi All,

haven't you wondered about the bulky designed DC-power jacks you'll have to use making a small board and use your lab power supply for it?

I'm in close contact with Cherng Weei (Taipei, Taiwan), a PCB-connector manufacturer and have suggested to alter the design fitting easily onto a PCB.

The original connector uses metal strips of 2.8 respectively 2.1mm length and 0.3mm thickness, not easy to make a solderable footprint on a PCB.

The new design uses pins instead of strips and can be inserted using through-holes.

To take care of sufficient current flow the pin diameter will be 1.2mm, using any pad size according to individual requirements.

I've already suggested to send me a bunch of at least 50 free samples, which of course are intended for the forum members for testing.

The only favour I'm asking for is showing one sample (two each member) to your local electronics dealer or distributor to have them order the stuff at Cherng Weei.

Regards

Hans

Attachments

• POWER-JACK.gif
    POWER-JACK.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
There are already SMD versions of those jacks:
**broken link removed**
How do you intend on shipping the samples to members?

Last edited:
He is not talking about SMT version. Rather a thru hole conn with round contacts as oppossed to slots which are more expensive to cut into a pwb. I personally might just go with SMT, but thru hole does have the advantage of mechanical strength.

If anyone were to assist you in your quest, a datasheet would be useful.

There are already SMD versions of those jacks:
**broken link removed**
How do you intend on shipping the samples to members?

Hi kchriste,

nice SMT-device. It will certainly be fun mounting this on a 'normal' board as the only SMT-device. :)

In Thailand we use the Thailand post to send letters, parcels and packets. What do you use in your country? :D

Back in 1970 we used donkeys in Turkey occasionally. :D

Hans

Your thumbnail has one flaw. It is possible to connect the plug incorrectly, with catastrophic results, unless the plug and socket are molded to fit only one way. The thinnest connectors I use are on my cellphone. SMT connectors have limited electrical current capacity.

Hi,

Where can we see a data sheet?

Hi,

Where can we see a data sheet?

Hi MrAl,

I suppose you mean the through-hole device datasheet. There is no datasheet yet. The engineers are working at it.

Here is the datasheet of the old version.

Hans

Attachments

• CDS-210_.pdf
    106.5 KB · Views: 487
In Thailand we use the Thailand post to send letters, parcels and packets. What do you use in your country? :D
:D:D:D
What I meant was, isn't it going to be expensive for you to ship these to 15 people or more?

:D:D:D
What I meant was, isn't it going to be expensive for you to ship these to 15 people or more?

Hi kchriste,

don't worry about expenses for mail. Thailand post is cheap, and has to be cheap to be affordable. Most people, mainly farmers, have a monthly income of 3,000 to 4,000 Baht, which equals US$85.71 respectively US$114.29.

The postage for a letter is 10 Baht within Thailand , from here to Germany it is 28 Baht (80Cents).

A Jiffy-bag is also considered to be a letter. :) Will hopefully not ruin me. :)

Hans

Last edited:
Your thumbnail has one flaw. It is possible to connect the plug incorrectly, with catastrophic results, unless the plug and socket are molded to fit only one way. The thinnest connectors I use are on my cellphone. SMT connectors have limited electrical current capacity.

The jack can only be used one way - with the plug receptacle pointing away from the board. Since it has three pins - additionally with different strip widths it can only fit in one direction. You might obtain catastrophic results not connecting the plug the proper way.

These connectors (plugs) are normally attached to wallwarts and it is up to the user to select the appropriate polarity.

I would love to test them out. my digital electronics class we have the crappy RS ones that a six year old can snap in half

Hi David,

you are on my list. Please PM me your mail address.

Regards

Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back