Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New Article: BLDC motor controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

alec_t

Most Helpful Member
PWM is common for these motors:

**broken link removed**

The thing that is neat about your design is it should always start.

PWM is common for these motors
I realise that; but the pulse-delay method is somewhat different in that it is synchronised with the internal commutation.
The article you linked to mentions [instantaneous] current being greater because the back-emf is less at lower speeds, but in the experiments I did I found, surprisingly, that instantaneous current was not significantly different as speed changed. Unexplained, but useful. Maybe I was just lucky with the guinea-pig motors.

Okay, I just saw this comment.

Previously-published speed controllers for BLDC motors require access to the individual coils of the motor to vary the coil drive, and involve either dedicated ICs or microcontrollers together with optical or back-emf rotor-position sensing arrangements

Can't explain why the instatanious current wouldn't be higher since the back emf subtacts from the supply voltage. Of course the ESR and inductance limits the rate of rise so maybe fan motors handle it a little better that the bigger motors with no protection against a stall.

I also like it because it will be hard to stall so if the voltage gets to low it will still limp along. Seems like it should also add a small amount of constant speed control.

@ronv
Thanks. I'll edit the article to clarify that the previously-published methods aren't the only known ones. Apart from PWM there is, of course, the voltage-reduction method used in the OEM controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back