Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New and interested in timers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCLynx

Hi I am new here but wish I'd come here first. I've already posted a specific question with my parts list and such but it is waiting to be moderated and therefore not showing up yet.

Anyway, Can someone point me to some good resources to learn about making repeat cycle timer circuits?

I will eventually also want to make something that can send a positive pulse then wait a period of time then send a negative pulse then wait before starting the cycle all over again. I got the impression that something like this could be done as a modification on a repeat cycle timer circuit.

I know I should be using the search function to see if I can find anything that would suite my purposes on my own but as a newbie, it is hard to know which hits are even going to relate since I don't even know the best jargon to use yet. Basically, it is difficult to ask the right search phrases if you don't yet know what the right phrases are.

I figure I'm planning on doing something a little more complex that just a 555 timer since I want more than a few minutes pause between on cycles. I have managed to build a simple 555 timer and make the little light turn on and off and adjusted the pots to see the range of timing I could do with that. So, My confidence is improved that I was able to look at the diagram and build the 555 timer on my little breadboard.

Now I want to use some 14 stage binary ripple counters and a Dual D-type flip-flop to set the 555 timer for longer on times and off times. If anyone knows of some projects out there that might show me the way, I'd love to see the link or even if you can just remember something about the thread to help me search for it.
Thanks

I'd like to be able to adjust it but am happy to tinker with that once I manage to get something working.

To start off I'm thinking an on time (duty cycle?) of say 2-10 seconds. (Just long enough to let a flap close momentarily)

And the pause time between say 15 to 30 minutes. Being really exact is not super important at the moment.

Based on some kinda spotty instructions I found for using these chips to make a timer, it seems that I should be able to manage a whole range of timing from 2 seconds up to 4 hr 30 minutes with those ripple counters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back