Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Netbook w/ 3G bould-in modem: data routing Ethernet (LAN RJ-45) to 3G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dina_p

Hi,

I have a Netbook running Win7 with build-in 3G cellular modem which allows internet connection.

Now, I have another special device with only LAN RJ-45 output, which should be connected to internet (regularly by means of wired router). Important, this device sends a ~0.1Mb information to internet once awhile when it connected to internet and can keep information till connection (.

Q: How can I utilize Netbook w/ 3G Internet in order to connect the special device to Internet.

Appreciate your ideas.

Your laptop (Netbook) becomes the host and on the laptop you enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) for Windows 7. Then you connect using ethernet cable your other device to the laptop.

Start by giving this a read. That should get you going.

Ron

Thank You Ron.
It seems as not possible, because the Netbook is running Win7 Starter.

From Win7 Help

"Internet Connection Sharing. A computer running Windows 7 Starter can't use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to share its Internet connection with other computers on the network. With Windows 7 Starter, you must use a router to share an Internet connection among several computers. For more information, see Setting up a home network. "

Last edited:
Uh Oh, Windows 7 Starter. Not going to happen. Since Windows 7 Starter doesn't allow ICS I don't know of a work around. This should have been simple in regular versions of Windows. Setting up a home network doesn't apply in this case as it deals with getting the netbook connected to a home network. However, let's not quit.

Give this a try and see where it gets you with the device you have. Also, worth mentioning, depending on this device you may need what is called a CAT 5 or CAT 6 "Crossover Cable" when running from your device to to the netbook.

Ron

Thanks, seems promising.

BTW, I thought the crossover is automatically performed... Is it still it use?

Thanks, seems promising.

BTW, I thought the crossover is automatically performed... Is it still it use?

Generally yes, the system should detect the cable type. However, when I am unsure of the devices I suggest using a crossover cable.

Let us know if the little hack works as I believe there are others that can be tried.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back