Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Neon Sign power bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

seasides

I'm trying to run a neon sign on a battery power bank.

The Neon is a custom sign comparable in size to bar wall beer sign or open sign. It's in a location where there isn't power supply without tripping over a wire.

1. Neon sign works when plugged into wall.

2. Neon sign turns on about 3 seconds then turns off with power bank attached.

I'm assuming the power bank has a fault trip that is turning off the circuit. Or is can the transformer suck enough power but once it is sent there it hasn't enough constant power? Do I need a bigger brick? Is the Neon sign sending out a ground that trips off the stand alone battery? If so then I splice the ground from going into the power bank and send it into a natural ground. My mind is turning and all I want is this neon sign to glow in the middle of a room. Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated.

A constraint for the power source, has to be about the size of a laptop or smaller.

Obviously, your sign is overloading the weak little power bank.
I though that too at first, but i really wonder how many watts its drawing. Most small neon signs tend to draw less than 30 watts. There's no data on the discharge rate/wattage on the page (that I can find), however it does have an ac output outlet so I would think it would be more than 10 watts, Idk.

Do you have a link to the sign? Are you sure it's a neon sign and not a more modern electroilluminescent one?

Mike.

Your neon sign, assuming a neon sign, power supply is likely wanting to see a sine wave of adequate power. What you linked to if it has an AC out is likely not a true sine wave but a MSW (Modified Sine Wave).

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back