Neon Sign power bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

seasides

I'm trying to run a neon sign on a battery power bank.

The Neon is a custom sign comparable in size to bar wall beer sign or open sign. It's in a location where there isn't power supply without tripping over a wire.

1. Neon sign works when plugged into wall.

2. Neon sign turns on about 3 seconds then turns off with power bank attached.

I'm assuming the power bank has a fault trip that is turning off the circuit. Or is can the transformer suck enough power but once it is sent there it hasn't enough constant power? Do I need a bigger brick? Is the Neon sign sending out a ground that trips off the stand alone battery? If so then I splice the ground from going into the power bank and send it into a natural ground. My mind is turning and all I want is this neon sign to glow in the middle of a room. Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated.

A constraint for the power source, has to be about the size of a laptop or smaller.

Obviously, your sign is overloading the weak little power bank.
I though that too at first, but i really wonder how many watts its drawing. Most small neon signs tend to draw less than 30 watts. There's no data on the discharge rate/wattage on the page (that I can find), however it does have an ac output outlet so I would think it would be more than 10 watts, Idk.

Do you have a link to the sign? Are you sure it's a neon sign and not a more modern electroilluminescent one?

Mike.

Your neon sign, assuming a neon sign, power supply is likely wanting to see a sine wave of adequate power. What you linked to if it has an AC out is likely not a true sine wave but a MSW (Modified Sine Wave).

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…