Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

negative supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.man

how can one make a negative voltage supply? would interchanging the wires of, say a 12V adapater, suffice?

how can one make a negative voltage supply? would interchanging the wires of, say a 12V adapater, suffice?

hi t,

Buy a mains 12V dc plug adaptor and you can use it either has a +12V or -12V supply, connect the +V lead to your circuit 0V/common and the other lead is the -V12.

Last edited:
hi t,

Buy a mains 12V dc plug adaptor and you can use it either has a +12V or -12V supply, connect the +V lead to your circuit 0V/common and the other lead is the -V12.

i dont know if i get you. are u saying i should connect ,what i normally use as +12V lead, to 0V/GND . because when i use multimeter i can see when i interchange leads i measure negative voltage.

i dont know if i get you. are u saying i should connect ,what i normally use as +12V lead, to 0V/GND . because when i use multimeter i can see when i interchange leads i measure negative voltage.

If you use separate 12Vdc psu adaptor, connect the +12V lead to 0V ground and the other lead is -12V.

Think of it like a 12V battery, you can connect those either way around to give a +V or -V with respect to 0V.:)

OK.?

Last edited:
If you use separate 12Vdc psu adaptor, connect the +12V lead to 0V ground and the other lead is -12V.

Think of it like a 12V battery, you can connect those either way around to give a +V or -V with respect to 0V.:)

OK.?

I can not use the same psu adapter to provide both +V and -V?

Hi,

You Can'not use same adaptor for both + & - 12V. If You want +12v & - 12 v in single Adaptor then go for 24 volt Adaptor (transformer) and use regulator 7812 & 7912 with filter 1000mfd Capacitor.

I can not use the same psu adapter to provide both +V and -V?

hi t,
As already pointed out, its not possible to use a single 12Vdc adaptor for both the +12V and -12Vdc.

Exactly what are you trying to do with these supplies.?

Exactly what are you trying to do with these supplies.?

it is for this amplifier circuit. it uses LF442-CN. so i can see it'll require +15V and -15V. am i right?

if yes, how can i supply these voltages?

it is for this amplifier circuit. it uses LF442-CN. so i can see it'll require +15V and -15V. am i right?

if yes, how can i supply these voltages?

hi,

Are you amplifying ac or dc signals, and ver what range of input/output voltages.?

Do you have a circuit diagram.?

hi,

Are you amplifying ac or dc signals, and ver what range of input/output voltages.?

Do you have a circuit diagram.?

i think its dc. im not sure of input signals but output runs from 0 to about 2.5V or something like that

Attachments

• amp.PNG
    amp.PNG
    36.4 KB · Views: 173
i think its dc. im not sure of input signals but output runs from 0 to about 2.5V or something like that

hi t,
The input pin3 is grounded, but you have a 10K going to 15V on pin3.? also a 10uF.?

You could consider using a 7660 -Voltage generator ic, running from the +V rail to give a negative voltage.
There are more modern/better devices than the 7660, but it will give you an idea.

If an output voltage of close to 0V to say +2.5Vdc is OK, it would be possible to use a OPA that will work from a single supply.

EDIT:
You could build one of these 555's

Attachments

• esp02 Nov. 25.gif
    esp02 Nov. 25.gif
    11 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
hi t,
The input pin3 is grounded, but you have a 10K going to 15V on pin3.? also a 10uF.?

You could consider using a 7660 -Voltage generator ic, running from the +V rail to give a negative voltage.
There are more modern/better devices than the 7660, but it will give you an idea.

If an output voltage of close to 0V to say +2.5Vdc is OK, it would be possible to use a OPA that will work from a single supply.

EDIT:

use this as -V supply?

You could buy an adaptor with 12VAC output and use a diode voltage doubler to get a positive and negative supply.

hi t,

EDIT:

which 555? LM or NE?

which 555? LM or NE?

hi t,
I would use a TTL version, IIRC they can output about 200mA.

EDIT: added a data extract.

Attachments

• esp01 Dec. 04.gif
    esp01 Dec. 04.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
hi, i want to check the items at the store, what values are the caps? i.e is it 220uF and 0.05uF?

hi,
They are 220µF at 16Vwkg[min] Electrolytic and a 0.05µF ceramic, a 0.047µF would be OK.

Any of the 1N400x diodes will be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back