Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Negative Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeyes56

Hi there,

can i make a negative DC supply out of a a Positive DC Supply?

for instance, can i make a -9 volts out of +9 volts so that i'll have a 3 terminals:
+9V,ground,-9V

or from 12V so that i can have:
+6V,ground,-6V

is it possible?

hi,

Depends on how much power you need from the two supplies and how much power the signal supply can do.

How much power does your power supply put out now, and how much do you need with the split supply?
If it's only a small amount it is easy.

Hello again,

Well you can get -9v out of +9v if you are willing to use a Boost converter connected as a minus voltage generator. That requires a switching type power supply circuit. How hefty it has to be depends on how much output current you need, and how much is available from the +9v supply.

i don't think so!

This is incorrect. it can be done if you know what you are doing.

It is actually easier to use a Buck converter to generate a negative output. See page 14 of the following:

https://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/1174fe.pdf

Or you can generate a 'mid rail' using 2 equal value resistors, but then the regulation will suffer as soon as you load the mid rail

hi,

Depends on how much power you need from the two supplies and how much power the signal supply can do.

How much power does your power supply put out now, and how much do you need with the split supply?
If it's only a small amount it is easy.

i don't really sure how much power i have to use, and how much power that source can supply,, i will use it on a op-amp lm741,,

P.S. how should i know the supply power?

i don't really sure how much power i have to use, and how much power that source can supply,, i will use it on a op-amp lm741,,

hi,
If you post the circuit for the 741 OPA, it may not be necessary to have a dual supply.?

Hi again,

From what you are saying i think it would be better that you post your circuit like Eric mentioned, and also tell us what kind of power supply or battery you are using to power it. The reason for this is because there are a huge number of ways of doing this with the circuit complexity ranging from a couple resistors to a special kind of IC chip with an inductor and several capacitors. If we know what you want to do we can make a better recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back