Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Negative Ion Generator - Modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

herkeyhawk3

Hey guys,

Let me start off by saying I dont have much electrical knowledge other than my high school physics class I took last year, however, I was hoping I could get some answers about an idea of mine.

So basically I have been wondering about how to create device that will generate a significant amount of negative charge but still be somewhat compact, I have read a lot about negative ion generators and I feel that this might be the way to go.

However, what I am wondering is if I were to build just a normal negative ion generator and then not leave holes for the negative ions to go into the air to "clean" it, would I be able to create a device that just simply creates and stores a negative charge? Basically by trapping the negative ions in the device itself?

Any input would be appreciated as well as other ideas to make a device similar to this.

Thanks!!

How would you store the ions and what would you do with them? Chances are when the ions touch a surface they will lose their charge. So you would have to trap them with some type of electric field. And building a uniform electric field to do this is not a trivial task.

Last edited:
I guess I wasnt planning on storing them, what we want to do it just to make a device that it similar to this size **broken link removed**. When it is turned on we want it to give off negative ions in a close proximity to the person carrying it, in theory repelling other negative charges in the close environment. I just figured if you could make an ion generator with no open holes, then you could essential produce a box with a large amount of negative charge that you could carry around.

If this isnt the way to go, any other suggestions would be highly appreciated, thanks.

Don't know why you want to repel negative ions, but I suppose a closed, non-metallic box would contain some negative ions, if they were continuously being provided by a generator in the box.

Easier would be to just generate a large negative charge on a metallic surface (protected by an insulator so you won't get shocked). Don't know how far that would really work to repel negative ions though for reasonable voltage levels.

Don't know why you want to repel negative ions, but I suppose a closed, non-metallic box would contain some negative ions, if they were continuously being provided by a generator in the box.

Easier would be to just generate a large negative charge on a metallic surface (protected by an insulator so you won't get shocked). Don't know how far that would really work to repel negative ions though for reasonable voltage levels.

Thanks for the input Carl,

So basically attach the needle that emits the negative ions to a metallic plate, for a larger effect?

Keep in mind these types of devices ionize air, which can create ozone, which can trigger asthma in sensitive individuals and is generally unhealthy for people to breathe. Their ability to clean air is HIGHLY over hyped, and only useful for helping to reduce particulate matter, and only in systems where particular matter is already highly controlled, as far as releasing ionized molecules into the air there is no health benefit that I have ever seen scientifically documented.

Keep in mind these types of devices ionize air, which can create ozone, which can trigger asthma in sensitive individuals and is generally unhealthy for people to breathe. Their ability to clean air is HIGHLY over hyped, and only useful for helping to reduce particulate matter, and only in systems where particular matter is already highly controlled, as far as releasing ionized molecules into the air there is no health benefit that I have ever seen scientifically documented.

Yeah I've read that too, I'm really not using the device for that purpose however, all I want to do is create a device that will generate a high negative charge within itself, hopefully, to repel other negative ions in the surrounding area.

Define surrounding area? They only work within a few inches of the plate, voltages higher to do any further distance will kill anyone that gets close to it. Stuff like this is actually being considered for radiation shielding of astronauts on deep space missions, but the voltages are absurdly high.

Last edited:
Well, what we were thinking was we wanted to try and build something that could lower the chance of lightning striking you, even if it only decreased your chances by a very small amount. We figured that since lightning is negatively charged, if we could build some sort of device to wear on us that is generating a negative charge, then the lightning would be less likely to strike us.

However, what I am now starting to wonder is how much voltage you would even need to make your changes of getting struck significantly less.

There's a rule with lightning, if you feel your hair tingling, hit the ground, and kiss your ass goodbye... Dig your fingers into the turf or whatever nearby conducting substance there is that isn't you that you can get your hands on. I don't believe that ionic generators can reduce the chance of lightning strike bellow what common sense already dictates.

It is impossible to accurately calculate the chance of a strike on that level, the environment you're in is too important.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back